Friday, October 16, 2009

Winning Words 10/16/09
“Happiness you pay for, you can find anywhere.” (Gypsy Saying) My curiosity was piqued recently when I saw a movie about gypsies. In searching, I found that they came to Europe from India in the 1400s. Some people thought they came from Egypt, hence the name. They became wanderers, because no country wanted them. The German word describing them was: untouchable. Look for more gypsy sayings in the blog. ;-) Jack
BTW, where is it that you find your happiness?

MORE GYPSY SAYINGS: Each one of these caused me to THINK!
"Everybody sees only his own dish."
"It's easier to milk a cow that's standing still."
"Sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you."
"When the sea turned to honey the poor man lost his spoon.
There are such things as false truths and honest lies."

FROM EM IN MICHIGAN: My parents have this painting in their den with this caption "Who is rich? He who rejoices in his lot." --The Mishnah My happiness comes from being with my children,whether it's playing
outside with them or snuggling in bed. They'll be up in about 30 minutes and I'll go back to bed just to have 'morning snuggles' - priceless. FROM JACK: You are rich!

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: My mother's family were immigrants from Sweden. She was the only one with dark hair and so she always had to sit by her mother because her mother was afraid that she was the one that the Gypsies would try to steal. She was also very good looking and that probably added to her mother's thought that she was a likely candidate for kidnapping. Did you know that Bill Moldwin is a Magyar from Hungary? I think he is a Gypsy in disguise!!! FROM JACK: So, that's where your looks come from...

FROM MOLINER CF: If you have to pay for happiness, you're getting gypped. FROM JACK: "Gypped!" I haven't hears that word for awhile. I'll bet it come from "gypsies." MORE: I looked it up. Sure enough, that's the source. I'd never thought of that before. Even "I" learn something from WWs.

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Seems like I've heard the gypsies are very much discriminated against in a lot of countries and stereotypes about them become common, for example stealing, etc. Stealing objects, time, other's reputations, benefits from other's work, we all grapple with these and I think the gypsy sayings here have a profound take on life. Thanks for spreading their wisdom around. FROM JACK: Minorities and "outsiders" always seem to face discrimination...even in the Church (but it seems better nowadays.).

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: In the air we breath, in the life we live, in the people we touch in our living. How about you?? FROM JACK: I like the song, "Count Your Many Blessings." I learned it in Sunday School, and it continues to make me thankful...a faith...a family and friends...opportunities to be of help...food and shelter... and a good doctor'e report.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Having wonderful memories and enjoying each day. FROM JACK: MEMORY! What a great gift. One of my favorite remembrances was going to Toronto for a stage presentation of "Cats." We were on the aisle, a few rows from the front...and got to experience the singing of: Memory! (PAUSE) I had to pull it up on the computer and listen to it again. It added to the enjoyment of the day. Thanks for the reminder!

FROM PRPH IN MINNESOTA: did you also know that Hitler almost wiped out their (the gypsies) entire population in eastern Europe during the Holocaust? FROM JACK: No, I didn't know that. MORE FROM PH: here is another factoid. there were between 10 and 11 million lost in the Holocaust but we almost always hear only about the Jews. The other 4 to 5 million were gays, blacks, Poles, Gypsies, political prisoners, mentally handicapped, physically handicapped, clergy, etc. If you want to rent a good film sometime, rent Judgement at Nueremburg (war trials) with Spencer Tracy and Maximillian Schell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These really speak to me today: Happiness you pay for, you can find anywhere and There are such things as false truths and honest lies. Do these proverbs say anything about our rationalizations to ourselves? For example I have a friend who, when she is off her medication, does an addictive behavior that she would be better off not doing and lays the problem at the feet of taking/not taking medication. I often rationalize about my use of time but it does seem to be a happiness I pay for. Seems like I've heard the gypsies are very much discriminated against in a lot of countries and stereotypes about them become common, for example stealing, etc. Stealing objects, time, other's reputations, benefits from other's work, we all grapple with these and I think the gypsy sayings here have a profound take on life. Thanks for spreading their wisdom around.