Thursday, October 15, 2009

Winning Words 10/15/09
“In so many areas of life, you need to be a long-term optimist, but a short-term realist.” (Chesley Sullenberger) Sully was the pilot who safely ditched Flt 1549 in the Hudson River. In his new book he says that all of life is a preparation for how we react to emergency situations. A spirit of optimism helped him when he was faced with reality. It was more than luck. It can be the same for us, too. ;-) Jack

MORE FROM JACK: Another quote from the same article in on the subject of preparation. In the book, WE, Charles Lindbergh says of his solo flight across the Atlantic: " Success was due almost entirely to preparation, not luck." And yet, he got the nickname, Lucky Lindy. Success in school, in business, in life (in general) is due to preparation. However, I remember being lucky a few times.

FROM SF IN MICHIGAN: I just love waking up to your words...helps set the course for my day!! FROM JACK: And I enjoy getting a first response such as yours.

FROM NL IN IND/FLA: That's Good Jack. I'm still in Indiana till my classes end in hot glass blowing. Very hard to do but I'm getting there, not easy for the average person because it's so hot and the room can get up to 110 degrees let alone the glass you are working with that gets to 1,200 degrees. I really love it, I guess,
because it's so hard to do; it's like life itself.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Sounds like The Happy Pragmatist. FROM JACK: It works for Sully....and the passengers on Flt 1549 will say, AMEN!

FROM CJL IN OHIO: He's a great example of preparation & use. I like to think that Seminary & parish experience were used for the same purposes.... FROM JACK: It worked for you...and me.

FROM PO IN MICHIGAN: I'm enjoying the focus on optimism --- I can't imagine existing any other way.

No comments: