Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Winning Words 10/14/09
“Let others praise ancient times; I’m glad I was born in these.” (Ovid) The famous Roman poet, Ovid, lived during the heyday of the Roman Empire, 2000 years ago. It was a time of social, economic and cultural prosperity. In spite of today’s problems, I echo Ovid’s words. If you could choose a time in history in which to live, when would it be? That might be a good discussion starter with family and friends. ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: I'm glad I was born in this time, but my thankfulness is tied very strongly to an appreciation of the past's counterculturalism that still seems relevant and gives hope today too. There are higher values to latch on to.

FROM RI IN BOSTON: Various eras have marked world history, each having its pros and cons. Back when country life was simpler there was perhaps less security and fewer conveniences. Now with the many material improvements and the complex culture of today, we are confronted with plenty other aggravating circumstances. To me there doesn't seem to be a utopian period for living. My father was born in Germany and witnessed regal princes living in castles and riding in gilded carriages, came to this country and
survived the great depression, struggled to maintain his family, finally achieved a comfortable level of wealth and lived long enough to see men go to the moon. He often commented that he had lived in the best of times. Personally, I can't be that certain. FROM JACK: We all seem to be searching for the Holy Grail, thinking that there might be something better. One of my favorite comic strips is "Pickles." The current story line has Earl saying to Opal, "Did you ever notice that in the middle of life is IF?" I have the luxury of looking back a few years. While there were good times, I do see that progress has been made.

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: After the next election... FROM JACK: I've lived long enough to see that we sometimes regret what we've wished for. I like this saying: We live and we die and inbetween we make a lot of mistakes.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: I agree with Ovid and his times presented social questions that were difficult too.
FROM JACK: He lived 43 BC to AD 17, and you know all of the stuff that was going on then, don't you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just ordered a book from a catalog which arrived in our mailbox: "Of Farming and Classics: A Memoir" by David Grene. "Grene's small memoir tries to explain how, at least in the case of one exemplary life, farming and classics enhanced each other. Delightfully recounts an era before corporate agriculture did in the family farm and pettifogging professionalism insulated the ivory tower from the larger world." I think it's the same with the Church. People are getting their theology from all over the place and in all kinds of media but the classic theology that is within the people in the church buildings for some reason people who could come in, they have a hard time connecting up. I'm glad I was born in this time, but my thankfulness is tied very strongly to an appreciation of the past's counterculturalism that still seems relevant and gives hope today too. There are higher values to latch on to.
S.H. in MI