Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Winning Words 10/13/09
“You got to accentuate the positive, Eliminate the negative, Latch on to the affirmative, Don’t mess with Mr. Inbetween.” (Johnny Mercer) These lyrics from the 40’s seem relevant today. Negative thinking is trying to make a comeback. The Wall Street Journal had an article yesterday: “Scrap That Smile,” which told of a new book, We Are Doomed. What do you think? Scrap that smile? We are doomed? I’d rather latch on to the affirmative. ;-) Jack

A positive attitude can really make dreams come true. It did for me. ( Zina Garrison 1963, American tennis
player)

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: Nice. Stay positive! FROM JACK: I belong to The Optimist Club!

FROM RI IN BOSTON: We're most of the way to being doomed if we give in to thinking we are doomed. "Wall Street" and "Madison Avenue" are a couple of the best paths to doom. A positive attitude, some self-confidence and common sense can go a long way toward sustaining us through difficult times. We shouldn't allow ourselves to give in to the mass media. Pogo is gone now but his philosophy generally pertains: "We've met the enemy and he is us!" FROM JACK: I couldn't have said it better.

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Do you realize that all of our great Presidents were Pragmatic Realists? Think of Washington, Lincoln, FDR....maybe Obama will be there someday....that is an optimistic viewpoint but he is a Pragmatic Realist. FROM JACK: I like to think that I'm pragmatic and that I'm a realist, too.

FROM ID IN MICHIGAN: When you think you’ve stuck in your life it doesn’t mean you ‘ve lost yourself. It just a mirage of fake plans and egoistic dream that leads you in different direction.
Long time no see you and talk to you. You're blessed to be a pastor.....Give people encouragement and hope which they really need nowadays...We are weak minded creatures when it comes to a challenge....We getting lost in our life tunnel.And only people like you can be a real blessed light for us.... FROM JACK: Thanks

FROM L IN ILLINOIS: I'm latching with all my might! FROM JACK: I like the Gloria Gaynor song,"I Will Survive. " We will survive these down times. I believe that.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: I love that song and that thought. You just have to be around children or young students from the United States or from other countries to keep your optimistic attitude, in my opinion.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Of course. The negative builds nothing! FROM JACK: ...except more negativity!

FROM MOLINER CF: Doomed to what? Just remember Chicken Little and move on! FROM JACK: The author of "We Are Doomed" wants to get rid of smiley faces and recapture "the republican virtue." "Diversity does not strengthen societies but makes them worringly fissiparous." And "Happy talk and wishful thinking are for children, fools and leftists." I'll continue to "latch on to the affirmative."

FROM BBC IN ILLINOIS: I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for the positive thoughts.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: Me too.

FROM LP IN MICHIGAN: Not sure I like the word "latch" here. It feels a bit head-in-the-sand. But I will say I try to avoid the unnecessary negatives, like I don't even want to see previews of the new end-of-the-world movie 2012. I read and watched "On the Beach" for a high school writing assignment and it has haunted me for years since FROM JACK: Latch, to me, is a good and descriptive word...to grip, to hold on, to lock (latch-key comes from this), to attach. All of these seem to work when it comes to latching yourself to affirmative beliefs and thoughts.

FROM PRGC IN SAN DEIGO: Gracias for today's word...like to be reminded of the oldies...still recall their lyrics and melodies quite well. FROM JACK: The lyrics usually make sense...except for ones like this:
Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?
Yes! Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?


FROM LG IN MICHIGAN: If this trend is truly occurring, then I think we really are doomed! But it is the negativity itself which will doom us, in my estimation! My "Book of Choice" continuously calls me to positive thought! We can't have faith and fear at the same time; we can't have joy and depression or despondency in the same breath; and we can't have hope and hopelessness together in one body. Peace and discord can't
inhabit one space; nor can love and self-will live together--in my humble opinion, all these are opposing forces! So if I must choose--if I can have just one or the other at any moment in time--if I can have only joy OR despondency, faith OR fear, hope OR hopelessness, peace OR discord, love OR power--I choose joy, faith, hope, peace, and love. These are not feelings to which I randomly submit, but are attitudes of the heart I choose each day (sometimes each minute).


MORE FROM LG: Wisdom from my "big book" that backs up Mr. Mercer's sound advice includes:
"Don't be dejected and sad, for the joy of the Lord is your strength!" Nehemiah 8:10b
(My daughter has this tatooed on her hip!)
"May you always be joyful in your union with the Lord. I say it again: rejoice!" Philippians 4:4


FROM GUSTIE MARLYS: I’m with you! And I love that song—it should be sung now too. Probably more relevant than when it was popular. FROM JACK: Which version did you like best...Bing Crosby, Perry Como, the Andrews Sisters, or Johnny Mercer? Mercer was my favorite.

FROM A&C IN MICHIGAN: I AGREE! It's going to take a lot of strength--and patience!!

No comments: