Thursday, October 01, 2009

Winning Words 10/1/09
“Acceptance is not submission; it is acknowledgement of the facts of a situation. Then deciding what you’re going to do about it.” (Kathleen Casey Theisen) We all have had “situations” come before us in unexpected ways. The Old Perfessor, Casey Stengel, put it this way: “There comes a time in every man’s life, and I’ve had plenty of them.” Do you have any tips on how to face them? ;-) Jack

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Say something, to God and/or to other people, to myself. Do something if the idea comes to me but it's amazing how much just plain old waiting does too. I've found waiting to be invaluable as things seem never to be static and often it is more powerful to do something when the situation has changed. Some things are more God's business than mine. FROM JACK: Your business is God's business...I think!

FROM PRJS IN MICHIGAN: Isn't that what is going on in the ELCA right now? A lot of people disagree with the recent decision and even more with the non-scriptural drift of the church but now have to decide what they are going to do about it. It will be interesting to see. For right now I am going to stick with St. Andrew and serve there. How about the news from the Pension Board? They certainly have a different definition
of "annuitize" than I have ever heard before. FROM JACK: I have been blessed by my ministry, simply in the doing. The pension, to me, is simply grace. So many people are suffering financially. Are we as pastors to be exempt?

FROM DAZ IN COLORADO: Lord give me the wisdom to change the things I can change and to accept the things I can't change and to know the difference. FROM JACK: First attributed to St. Francis of Assisi...and it's still good advice.

FROM MOLINER CF: Go someplace quiet and SCREAM. Surprising how it clears the head.

FROM CL IN MICHIGAN: Keep your head up, your eyes, heart and mind open. FROM JACK: Good advice, and for the golfers, too. No, I guess for the golfers, it's keep your head down and your eyes on the ball.

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: I think the key word is acceptance. Maybe, it is what it is without all of the could of, would of, should ofs. And then deciding to pick your battles. Is the situation worth it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Say something, to God and/or to other people, to myself. Do something if the idea comes to me but it's amazing how much just plain old waiting does too. I've found waiting to be invaluable as things seem never to be static and often it is more powerful to do something when the situation has changed. Some things are more God's business than mine.
S.H. in MI