Monday, September 21, 2009

Winning Words 9/21/09
“No matter how you feel, get up, dress up, and show up.” (Gloria Starr, Business Consultant) She goes on to say that clothing and personal appearance can send a positive or a negative message. Her views are regularly quoted in the business world. She’s also written an article: “How to project a champagne taste on a beer budget.” Look around you today, starting with the mirror: champagne or beer?” ;-) Jack

FROM MKH IN MICHIGAN: Did you say champagne or beer or Jack?

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Beer today, Dom Pérignon tomorrow...

FROM SH IN MICHIGAN: Miriam Woolbert's scripture reading today is from Matthew where Jesus was eating with the tax collectors and sinners and getting criticized for it. I wonder what he was dressed in, was it his carpenter clothes? John the Baptist in his skins. Beer budget message? Personally, I admire Queen Elizabeth's clothing very much. Princes lines, fresh colors, not ever anything dark or even neutral, beautiful blues,
pinks, greens to go with her beautiful silvery gray hair. My ambition is to give other people, particularly disabled or elderly, the option of having clothing designed like Queen Elizabeth's though must say many think Queen Elizabeth is not really very fashionable. I actually think her "message" is not champagne taste or beer budget but, maybe something like carpenter Jesus or John the Baptist, "style setter" taking into account the needs of those she is wanting to be with in a constructive way. From all the biographies I read about her, she has a very strong sense of "duty" and responsibility. Gloria Starr sounds like she has that same sense. FROM JACK: I suppose the first mirrors were reflecting pools. I wonder if Jesus or John the Baptist ever saw their images in such a mirror?Others should know that you, SH, design and sew clothing for the disabled and elderly which is easier to put on and take off, and is stylish, too.

FROM EA IN MICHIGAN: I will get up and dress up but tomorrow I will not show up at Optimist , as we will be on our way to Niagra on the Lake for Shaw plays. Be well and stay well. FROM JACK: When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. George Bernard Shaw

FROM HS IN MICHIGAN: I guess I had better show up! FROM JACK: Better not. No meeting tomorrow.

FROM TL IN MICHIGAN: Jack, great one! I'm going to use it in my meetings this week! FROM JACK: Don't forget to bring a mirror. Champagne and beer are optional.

FROM ML IN ILLINOIS: great ww. sometimes we just have to get over ourselves. my mother-in-law has a similar quote that all four of her boys grew up hearing and we have passed it on to the next generation. It's, "stand up straight, smile, and be pleasant". FROM JACK: There are good mother-in-laws, too! I had one.

FROM AM IN MICHIGAN: I read this a few months ago in Winning Words. I believe it was quoted from 90 year old Brett from Cleveland. I certainly agree with the idea. I have repeated it many times to others quoting Winning Words. FROM JACK: Who said old people don't have sharp eyes? I thought that the quote sounded familiar. Of course, 90-year-old Brett is a fake. "The rest of the story" is that Brett is a 40 or 50-something writer for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, and someone doctored her age on the internet thinking that it would make a more interesting story. It did, and many people copied it as true. It's good, just the same. But I think that I got the source, so give me credit for that.

FROM LK IN OHIO: Thanks...I'm taking this to heart.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Do you remember the book, :Everything but money"? says the same thing. FROM JACK: Sam Levenson....what a great guy. He had his hand on the pulse of our homes.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: I really don't agree with her message if it's just talking about work. Sometimes you need to get in your comfortable clothes, grab the grandkids and just snuggle. My priorities have never been to impress anyone...just live a good honest life....leave the dressing up and champagne to someone else. FROM JACK: Of course, her message was directed to mainly business people. She probably would have written differently, if it were to grandmas.

FROM MOLINER CF: Very sobering thought. FROM JACK: Yes, I got it.

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Champagne that has aged. FROM JACK: I like that answer.

FROM PH IN MINNESOTA: i like that "hard" lemonade! FROM JACK: A father at Comerica Park in Detroit was arrested for buying hard lemonade and giving it to his little boy. He said that he thought it was just lemonade and didn't know what "hard" meant. Do you know what it means?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your Winning Words are again thought-provoking, Pastor Freed. Miriam Woolbert's scripture reading today is from Matthew where Jesus was eating with the tax collectors and sinners and getting criticized for it. I wonder what he was dressed in, was it his carpenter clothes? John the Baptist in his skins. Beer budget message? Personally, I admire Queen Elizabeth's clothing very much. Princes lines, fresh colors, not ever anything dark or even neutral, beautiful blues, pinks, greens to go with her beautiful silvery gray hair. My ambition is to give other people, particularly disabled or elderly, the option of having clothing designed like Queen Elizabeth's though must say many think Queen Elizabeth is not really very fashionable. I actually think her "message" is not champagne taste or beer budget but, maybe something like carpenter Jesus or John the Baptist, "style setter" taking into account the needs of those she is wanting to be with in a constructive way. From all the biographies I read about her, she has a very strong sense of "duty" and responsibility. Gloria Starr sounds like she has that same sense.
Enjoyed thinking about your WW.
S.H. in MI