Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Winning Words 9/16/09
“Trying to predict the future is like trying to drive down a country road at night with no lights, while looking out the back window.” (Peter Drucker) In conversation yesterday, Peter Drucker’s name came up. This respected business consultant has come up with some ideas that apply to all of life, as well as to business. Today’s quote is just one example. The future is before us, not behind us. ;-) Jack

FROM LK IN OHIO: Glad God's got His hand on the wheel. FROM JACK: This reminds me of a song by Carrie Underwood....Jesus Take The Wheel.

She was driving last Friday on her way to Cincinnati
On a snow white Christmas Eve
Going home to see her Mama and her Daddy
With the baby in the backseat

Fifty miles to go and she was running low
On faith and gasoline
It'd been a long hard year

She had a lot on her mind and she didn't pay attention
She was going way too fast
Before she knew it she was spinning
On a thin black sheet of glass

She saw both their lives flash before her eyes
She didn't even have time to cry
She was so scared
She threw her hands up in the air

Jesus, take the wheel
Take it from my hands
?Cause I can't do this on my own

I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
To save me from this road I'm on
Jesus, take the wheel

It was still getting colder when she made it to the shoulder
And the car came to a stop
She cried when she saw that baby in the backseat
Sleeping like a rock

And for the first time in a long time
She bowed her head to pray
She said I'm sorry for the way
I've been living my life

I know I've got to change
So from now on tonight

Jesus, take the wheel
Take it from my hands
?Cause I can't do this on my own

I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
To save me from this road I'm on

Oh Jesus, take the wheel
Oh, I'm letting go

So give me one more chance
Save me from this road I'm on
From this road I'm on
Jesus, take the wheel
Oh, take it, take it from me
Oh, why, ooh

FROM INDY GENIE: good carrie underwood song.....thanks for that.

FROM TL IN MICHIGAN: Jack, thanks for the reminder. I wish you peace today!

FROM SG IN TAMPA: Speaking of the future, today is Grandparents' Day in the schools here. The schools are a good place to see the future of our family and of our country. FROM JACK: I figured the day was coming, because I saw some Grandparents' Day cards displayed. I don't expect to receive one, but I have six fine grandchildren just the same, and I know that they will make a difference in the workl. Your's, too! MORE FROM SG: The day was very interesting and different. This was my ninth year at this elementary school. Usually there are at least 8 to 10 grandparents in each class of 18 to 20 students. Today I was the only one in Mark's first grade class and the only one in Emily's third grade class, which was in the computer lab for the time I was there. I don't know what accounted for the difference. A sign of what girls do this day is what my
8th grader did yesterday. She had her long auburn hair cut and is donating it for wigs for cancer patients. My two granddaughters in Orlando had done this, too, when they were in high school. This is what gives me a great deal of hope for the future.

FROM MOLINER G.S.: That is, major league in business ... just like in bb. He also said that if you're batting .333 in mgt decision-making, you're a major league manager. FROM JACK: I knew that I'd hear from you when I quoted your hero.

FROM CH ON CAPE COD: I hadn't been familiar with him, until I started doing some vision work and was trying to get people inspired about visioning and Bible Study and one 'business' person in the congregation (vice president of the council at the time) was all perplexed why we'd choose to use biblical texts when we could just have the council read Peter Druker!!! FROM JACK: We have many resources among our church members, if we'd just listen.

FROM PJ IN MICHIGAN: Thanks for the compliment!

FROM ERIN IN SPAIN: Hola de Espana!!

FROM PRGC IN SAN DIEGO: Peter Drucker is a So CA product. I think he is still living but must be in his early 90's. Not sure. He taught at one of the rather famous Claremont Colleges just east of LA. He certainly is one of the real gurus in the world of understanding and leading business management. Ken Blanchard, a good friend of mine and he collaborated on a number of best-selling books. I think you could say that Ken is a
disciple of Peter Drucker. FROM JACK: Peter died, 11/11/02 in Claremont at age 95. Drucker demanded that public and private organizations operate ethically and decried managers who reap bonuses by laying off employees. "This is morally and socially unforgivable, and we will pay a heavy price for it," he said. He wasn't always right, and academics disdained his popular approach, criticizing him for relying on anecdotes and accusing him of manipulating facts to fit his positions. But evidence of his influence is found in just how ordinary his insights now seem: A company should streamline bureaucracy. Managers should look for more efficient models for organizing work. Results are obtained by exploiting opportunities, not solving problems.
In 1971, Mr. Drucker moved to California, where he helped develop the country's first executive master's of business administration program for working professionals at Claremont Graduate University. Its management school, where he taught until 2002, is named after him.

No comments: