Thursday, January 22, 2009

Winning Words 1/22/09
“Everyone who’s taken a shower has an idea. It’s the person who gets out of the shower, dries off, and does something about it that makes a difference.”
(Nolan Bushnell – Founder of Atari) I just remembered that I have a file folder, marked: Ideas. I looked. It’s empty. Time for a shower. Do you have any suggestions for putting ideas to work? Someone told me that he kept a recording device by his bedside for “middle-of-the-night” ideas. He never said if played them back or acted on them. ;-) Jack


FROM S.T. IN MI: Inspired to do more today than yesterday. Keep up the inspiring words.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: I won't criticize you for your "Ideas" folder remaining empty. My own "Ideas" folder has quite a few entries...ideas that I've never done anything with. My folder might just as well be empty like yours. When I was at the university we had a poster in our studio, showing two guys slouched in lounge chairs, with their feet up on the coffee table. The caption read, "Next week we've GOT to get organized!" I'm many, many weeks behind.

FROM MOLINER LIZ: I think you probably have acted on many of the ideas you came up with in the shower. Perhaps you didn't invent the iPod while you were in there, but you undoubtedly came up with many solutions to everyday problems/concerns that made a big difference in your or someone else's life. FROM JACK: I rationalize by saying that the file is empty, because I've acted on them or rejected them. I'm always ready for something new. In fact, I had a breakfast meeting with someone today, and we exchanged ideas. They're not going into a folder. I'm acting on them.

FROM MKH IN MI: I am most productive in the shower, how did you know? Love it !!

FROM J.L. IN MI: I use a pad of paper. My Dad used to say that a sharp pencil was better than a sharp memory!

FROM D.S. IN SAN DIEGO: Jack, I suspect you will hear similar things from others, but I have done my best "problem solving" in the middle of the night. I used to have a pad of paper and a pen with a light on it to make notes in the middle of the night. If I didn't make a note I never would go back to sleep fearing that I would forget it. I'm so old now my brain just says go back to sleep!!!

FROM MOLINER C.F.: I assume Nolan also got dressed.

FROM YOOPER BOB: As I've grown older ideas have arrived more frequently around 4 a.m. I don't keep a tape recorder. Instead, I get out of bed and insert them where best appropriate on my tasks to do list.

FROM PR P.H. IN MN: I once heard Conrad Hilton on the Johnny Carson show ask his TV audience to always remember to put the shower curtain INSIDE the tub. Now there is a good idea. Hilton explained that his company spent huge sums of money each year repairing water damage in his worldwide chain of hotels. JACK'S REPLY: I wonder if Conrad got this idea while standing in the tub. At least he did something about it.

FROM MOLINER J.T.: My idea device is carried in my shirt pocket. A simple 3 X 5 card. It also has my grocery list.

FROM J.B.: God is in control, I am on His side, and that means all is well with my soul. Everyday is a blessing for GOD Is! Have a good day

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY: By the time I get out of the shower, dry off, put on some clothes and walk to where paper and pen are, I forgot the earth-shattering idea. I tried putting paper and pen by the sink, but I kept moving it. However, if I ever remember those ideas, I will let you know. :-) BTW: Action speaks louder than words...as my mom used to say.

No comments: