Friday, January 09, 2009

Jack’s Winning Words 1/9/08
“Our life unfolds as if God were showing us a slide show.”
(Hugh Prather) This is one of Prather’s Spiritual Notes To Myself. Sometimes people are bored by slide shows, but usually not if pictures of them are shown. This quote intrigues me, particularly when I wonder what the next slide will show. I’d like to go back and see some of the slides again, and then there are others… “It’s A Wonderful Life,” isn’t it? ;-) Jack


FROM EMT SINGS IN MI: I agree! I have often said life is like a soap opera and a nice thing is to be able to see how things/people start out and then how they progress(or don't). One of the fun things about growing older ourselves is getting to see "the rest of the story". Life truly is an adventure!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Here's a verse from a song that Jon has written. I have the rest of the lyrics and the music, too. It's a good one.
I love to watch memories, like movies in my mind
I can stop, fast forward, sometimes I rewind
I have a favorite scene that I never forward through
A waitress pouring coffee and that waitress is you

FROM PR J.S. IN MI: Read the book one page at a time and enjoy each page....remember what you can from the past pages but always look forward to something new in the coming ones. JACK'S REPLY: I sometimes like to skip ahead.

FROM P.O. IN MI: Bored --- never, no matter whose slides are being shown! I distinctly remember when I left the synod saying to Pr. Maddox that I could hardly wait to see what was waiting for me around the corner --- little did I imagine this!!

FROM S.H. IN MI: A quote from Henri Nouwen...."Sometimes we have to "step over" our anger, our jealousy, or our feelings of rejection and move on. The temptation is to get stuck in our negative emotions, poking around in them as if we belong there. Then we become the "offended one," "the forgotten one," or the "discarded one." Yes, we can get attached to these negative identities and even take morbid pleasure in them. It might be good to have a look at these dark feelings and explore where they come from, but there comes a moment to step over them, leave them behind and travel on."

FROM P.H. IN MN: may all your slides be good ones...


FROM EMT SINGS IN MI: I can really appreciate this whole concept as I keep very detailed photo albums. Not just pictures but thoughts, the grandchildrens score sheets from games, etc, etc. In fact, on this snowy day I am planning to get 2008 up to date. Doing it retrospectively (the only way you can do it) truly makes you appreciate everything more. You tend to forget the small insignificant details of an experience that may have not been so positive on the day they happened, and only can be so happy with it. For instance, I hope you enjoyed our Christmas card. That picture was taken as my kids were camping on Mackinaw Island (bridge in the background). We think it is totally precious, but I know to take it took lots of time to figure out the location, best time of day and probably squabbly kids (although they get along so well). Yes, I do think life is a slide show. I hope everyone can remember the goodness of each "slide" and forget the rest!

FROM S.G. IN TAMPA: It certainly is and every day is absolutely wonderful.



No comments: