Friday, December 07, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 12/7/07
“May you never forget what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.”
(Irish Blessing) As I was searching for a Pearl Harbor Day quote, this one came to my attention. We remember the sacrifice of life on 12/7/41; some of the details of intrigue might be better set aside. I guess that’s the way it is with other episodes in our life, too. ;-) Jack


FROM B.D. IN MICHIGAN: I WENT THERE ONCE IN MY LIFE, I HAD TO LEAVE AFTER A FEW HOURS, SOOOOOOO SAD !!!!!!!!!

FROM A.M. IN MICHIGAN: Returned from Italy last night. Wonderful trip. Many Japanese were at the hotels. I initiated conversations especially with the young since they were more willing to talk. I was 11 when Pearl Harbor was bombed.. I remember it well-President Roosevelt speaking to us on the radio, movie news, rationing, tearing down the El train tracks in New york City which were used for the war effort, the young men and women enlisting, the draft, rationing. Time goes on. My husband , who served in World War 11 , traveled to Japan many times for GM. He invited Japanese visitors to our home for dinner and long conversations ensued. There was so much suffering on both sides. When I met these young people on the trip, my heart was peaceful. I enjoyed the interaction. We have come a long way.
Your Irish blessing says it all.


FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: There is a lot about forgiveness wrapped in those Winning Words, and forgiveness is appropriate from both nations that suffered tragically following December 7, 1941. Thanks for words that show understanding on Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. Fortunately, time does bring healing.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: I've never heard this one before....and it is awesome. I was doing volunteer work at a nursing home for my Girl Scouting Day's years ago, and it was so interesting. Most people only remembered the good old days. And, at the last, when there was no conscience communication, you could always softly sing the old hymns and they would respond. They would respond to The Lord's Prayer too.
My grandparents had an cousin live with them when she turned 94. Her name was "Aunt Emmy". (Her father was in the Civil War and we have his artifacts. He was in the Michigan 22nd.) She lived for years under my grandparents care, and us grandkids helped take care of her for my grandma. Aunt Emmy loved to hear Jingle Bells and Jesus Loves Me. She only remembered good things and I pray, when the time comes, I will too. I try to do that now, and I'm sure you do to. There is so much good to remember!


FROM REV C.L. IN OHIO: Isn't forgiveness something we do just because we can never forget?
Didn't someone say if we didn't remember our past we were bound to relive it?


FROM L.H. IN MARCO: In this season of Advent, I still think back to how you covered Advent at Holy Spirit Church.I still have a sticker from one of the bulletins at the beginning of my rolodex that says "Love, Peace, Joy, Hope, Christ." Each week your sermon covered one of those topics and it made Advent especially meaningful. I always thought it was done that way at all Lutheran Churchs, but I haven't seen that since. The closest I have seen was on the Catholic network cable channel (EWTN) I watch quite frequently----they talked about Hope.Its taken me 65 years to hear of this guy (I'm sure you have) but I just finished the book "Profhet of Orthodoxy, This Wisdom of GK Chesterton." Most of his words are as true today as when he wrote them. I will plan on buying some of his books.

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: I'll try to remember that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually think the details of intrigue should be remembered too. Pastor Maddox was just explaining to us in Bible study how someone in the Bible tried to sugarcoat the history of the kings and then someone else came along to write the real history so we later readers would have a more accurate account. I think we Americans often don't want to acknowledge our sort of pimpled history. That we do things too that level us out among all the other nations. Opinion of Sharon