Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 12/18/07
“Tradition is a guide, not a jailer.”
(W. Somerset Maugham) Don’t be afraid to try something new. When a new translation of the Lord’s Prayer came out, my mother encouraged me to “get with it” and use it in the worship service. Are you one who hangs on to the old, like Tevje in Fiddler on the Roof? Tradition! ;-) Jack

FROM EMT SINGS: I liked that! Should be hung in workplaces.....But, of course, my Christmas traditions are sacred!

FROM L.H. IN MARCO: Usually, Tradition stands the test of time and a lot of the new things are just fads, and many of them not good ie abortion, divorce (what happened to for better or worse), honor thy father and mother (now people want the goverment (tax payer) to carry the full load, etc. I am not ashamed to say I am a tradtionalist.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Some traditions I love, and others beg to be replaced. Today, one was replaced. My littlest grandson, (3), has had a terrible cough but no other symtoms. My daughter and her husband found out he is allergic to pine trees. So the annual cutting of the Christmas trees will be replaced by another annual outing instead. (He also has a sever allergy to peanuts.) We loved that tradition, but will happliy replace something else.

FROM SPARTAN JEFF IN MICHIGAN: I'm a little of each!

FROM BBC: Yeah, I'm all about the "red" book. And "save us from the time of trial" is no where near "lead us not into temptation"….. life is about trials; I've never been able to pray that line with the rest. It doesn't seem right to ask that of the heavenly Father. Smile!

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: I don't think so --- maybe some day. I'm never sure whether that's a personality trait or an age thing. Perhaps a personality trait that intensifies with age?

FROM REV J.S. IN MICHIGAN: Some forget that it can be a jailer and are indeed jailed by it. Others forget that it can be a guide and so lose the wisdom of the ages for the immediacy of now.

FROM M.N. IN MINNESOTA: You better believe it! I “pray” the old version—I “read” the new one. If we are supposed to be “ecumenical” and inviting to visitors, why can’t we pray the Lord’s Prayer the same way as other denominations???

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: My Ma used to say"ain't that the truth Mabel", thank the Lord for Mother's when they encourage you to explore, to try something new and different. I must admit however, when I went to the 9:30am Young People's Special service, I went back to the 11:00 0'clock traditional service. Maybe this Sunday, I'll go back and try it one more time.-I seemed like a combo of the Holly Rollers and a musical gymnastic class, very different.


No comments: