Friday, September 07, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 9/7/07
“Peeves do not make very good pets.”
(Bo Bennett) Peeve is a 14th century word meaning: something that makes you ornery or ill-tempered. Road rage and cell phone use come to mind. What is it that makes you ornery? BTW, Bo is considered to be a leading expert on how to be successful. He started in business at age 10. Even Donald Trump reads his books. ;-) Jack


FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: My pet peeve is bad manners....like talking with your mouth full, or talking while someone else is talking, etc. Talking or treating people badly, especially children, really gets me ornery. If successful is defined as money, then Bo is successful...I wonder what his family life is like??? I don't him at all, but I do know success sometimes is defined as having lots of money but I don't think that's success at all. It's how you live your life and what you give back what counts. I do know someone who is extremely prejudice against wealthy individuals, even though he himself is "wealthy". I find that is a pet peeve of mine too. He judges people by what they have instead of what they do with what they have. Strange isn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My pet peeve is when people I live with or worship with keep to themselves so much, they don't share their thoughts then, often they don't witness or testify what God is doing in their lives. On the other hand my other pet peeve is when people clear across the country are sharing every speck of stuff within themselves on talk radio, talk shows on TV and in a myriad of published books. I don't listen, watch or read much of that stuff anymore--it's over the top for me. We have a strange culture.

Anonymous said...

Upon reflection I think my above peeves do not make very good pets because they might not be taking into account how much the personal privacy and the way public individuals just let it all out are, in fact, joined at the hip so to speak. Public individuals might be fulfilling a great need that local people need to counteract their trying to deal with issues of personal privacy. That perspective helps to alleviate my peevishness.