Friday, September 21, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 9/21/07
“I am certain that there’s too much certainty in the world.”
(Michael Crichton) We grow by raising questions and expressing doubts. There’s a verse in the Bible: I believe; help my unbelief. Think back in your own life when new ideas came into your mind, because of questions that you raised. Who helped you find the answers? ;-) Jack


MORE FROM JACK: Soitenly, you remember Curly from The Three Stooges.

FROM E.A. IN MICHIGAN: Amen. Witness the "certainty in Lansing or the White House.

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: I've come late in life to raising questions and expressing doubts --- I do hope that's better than not at all! Have spent most of my life being far too accepting of 'authority'.

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: I've always loved that father's response. What brutal, refreshing honesty in that resonse. I have often identified with his words.

FROM D.S. IN SAN DIEGO: Jack -- at least a couple of times a week you seem to hit on things that I find so pertinent to my own thoughts. I very often find myself in my prayers saying "I believe; help me with my
disbelief". Probably could even change it on the ending to "help me to understand".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had questions about baptism and rebaptism and was very unsettled because of all the crazy relationships that seemed to be among people over this question. I think God Himself didn't exactly give me a certainty of answer but rather He found a place for me on this earth where people were believing more in loving each other and not being divided. It's been a process, not a result.