Monday, September 17, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 9/17/07
“Never reveal all of yourself to other people; hold back something in reserve so that people are never quite sure if they really know you.”
(Michael Korda) I’d like to know what you think about this statement; that is, if you’re ready to open up. My guess is that most people “hold back.” I seem to remember that “to know” means to be able to look into the soul of another person. I’m not sure that I want that. ;-) Jack


FROM MOLINER, J.T.: I don't mind people knowing me, therefore, I open up. My mind and heart are open for anyone to look inside. I might unintentionally hold back, but I don't think so.

FROM T.S. IN MICHIGAN: I think my wife would welcome these words for me. I tend not to hold back and often embarrass her - and I'm sure myself as well - but don't realize it. Well, we are all sinners.


FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: I'll have to think about this one a bit (and pay attention!) --- I usually feel as though I probably reveal too much.

FROM REV.J.S. IN MICHIGAN: I can't believe that we ever know ourselves well enough to reveal "all of ourselves" to anyone. There is always both a web of deception and mystery about us even to urselves....only the Lord knows what is inside which is why confession of Sin" makes more sense to me than confession of "sins."

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: the thought of holding back does not sit well with me. how do we truely trust each other if we can't and/or won't come clean? i think it's just plain dishonesty.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: So long as we are alive, we are changing, learning, and growing. Therefore, it would be practically impossible to reveal all of yourself, even if it were desirable. Think of the old proverb: “You can never stick your foot twice in the same river.” I assume we hold back something for all but that handful of close friends.

MORE FROM JON: I wasn’t going to answer but felt that would be holding back.

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: Sounds like a confirmed bachelor. What kind of marriage results in this kind of thinking?

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: I hope only God will know.
MORE FROM L.K.: God knows me completely; I only think I know God, and there's a huge difference,ha! I relish the mystery.

FROM P.H. IN MINNESOTA: and then there is the O.T. definition of "to know" as in Adam knew his wife Eve, which had all kinds of sexual overtones...

FROM M.N. IN MINNESOTA: I don’t think that statement works with me. I just let it all hang out. People know who I am when they meet me I think.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: I would be surprised if those closest to me don't know all of me. There's not much that I hold back. I have never really kept things to myself. Most people reserve part of themselves, but, I really don't think I have. My brother-in-law never tells anything about himself, his job, his family, and when he does talk, it's usually in whispers in people's ears. I find that really strange. Is there really anything about you people shouldn't or couldn't know?? I doubt it. We all have "pasts" but, most of our pasts aren't earth shattering. I would rather be an "open book". I want people to look in the coffin and say, "I knew her well", not "I spent my whole life with her, but I don't know her at all." Thanks for making me think again though!
MORE FROM J.L.: "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

AND STILL MORE FROM J.L.: Yes, I went on your Blog site to read them....they are totally opposite...either yes or no, no in between. Interesting weren't they? I especially like to read Jon's answers. He sounds so interesting. One time I went to his site. It's fun to read everyone responses each day!

FROM E.A. IN MICHIGAN: I tried to post to the blog but apparently I didn't know what I was doing. My thoughts are that I should reveal myself to thosse whom I encounter in my profession so that they know who and what they are dealing with. Also, in this way they either conciously or uncounciously reveal themselves to me. It works.

FROM R.I. TRAVELING EUROPE: Regarding Monday's WW, there is an update to the Old Proverb mentioned in one of the responses: "You can never stick your foot twice in the same river"..."but you can put your foot twice in your mouth!"
I'm in Europe right now, seeing Berlin, Vienna and Prague. It's "sweet" to be able to be able to continue reading WW while far from you.

FROM A.M. IN MICHIGAN: I have thought about this idea of how well we know someone frequently lately. Two friends of 50 years died in Milawaukee within six days of one another. I saw the second friend at the funeral of the first only three days before he died. I knew them both very well. One of them knew me better than the other for many reasons. Often, we know someone well because we want to and take the time.
The person who knew me less well, but well, had been ill with cancer for 12 months. During that period, we spoke nearly daily. Many fears were told me and experiences from her childhood. Some of these I had never heard expressed by her. I kept an account of our conversations and her family asked me to speak at her funeral. It was very difficult but I wanted to do it for my friend. I asked her help and God's help. I spoke only of our friendship and her love of her family. Confidences she shared are still mine. I closed with psalm 30. I had sent her a booklet of psalms for daily reading and we read them daily. This was one of her favorites. We read it on Thursday evenings. I did not cry. I felt that we had been there for each other. We laughed often throughout the year. Mac said if they were ordaining priests, they would have asked me. Humor has its place at funerals too. The other person who died three days later asked me to write for him too. How ironic. Three days letter he fell and died. Everone's comfort was that he had not suffered as the first person had.
We all were in church together that day. Old friends-a large group - all knowing that this life ends and each day must count.

SENT BY A.L. IN MICHIGAN: The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made. - Jean Giraudoux



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think these Winning Words are bunk. It is a great relief to reveal oneself to certain Christ-centered people. I think that is the way genuine community is built up. Otherwise people can always feel they are just on shifting sand and not solid bedrock.

Anonymous said...

I think for mysef that nothing of import should be held back from the people whom I encounter in my profession. They should know me as I know them.

avaed