Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 3/6/07
“It’s not a good idea to tie your shoe in someone else’s watermelon patch.”
(Japanese Proverb) This was quoted by a Japanese friend of mine, so it’s real, and not made up. Now, we’ve got to figure out what it means. I can see it in my mind. Does it mean that the person might be thought to be stealing? If so, avoid putting yourself in a position where people get the wrong idea about you. What do you think? ;-) Jack


FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i think that living an honest and honorable life should be enough. trying to perceive what others will interpret of it takes up too much time from the living. if my shoe becomes untied in anothers "field", i guess i'll have to call upon my character witnesses!

FROM P.O. IN DETROIT: This one will appear on the list of things to discuss with my son tonight --- I haven't a clue!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: I think it goes with, "No one believes guys go to Hooter's for the chicken wings--though it could be possible." The appearance of impropriety is often as damaging (to your reputation) as the actual act. My mom used to say, "You can't be seen coming out of a place you don;t go into."

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: Of course, questions there are: state of the watermelons, ground,etc.(should your shoes come off).....why are you there to begin with?Anyway, to me it means don't spend time in another's affairs....mind your own business.

FROM D.S., RUTH'S HUSBAND: I think most people know my tongue is well entrenched in the side of my cheek. All I will say is that men (in particular) have been known to run around in more patches than those
that raise watermelons. I think you know what I mean, but I have an idea that possibly the proverb
may be speaking exactly to that. What say YOU?


FROM B.S. IN FLORIDA: I think you are right. Someone is stealing melons. So if you are stealing, make certain you are prepared in all ways to get in and get out. Don't loiter.Speed is your option.

No comments: