Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 3/20/07
“Last year, a nine-year-old friend of my daughter told her, ‘I’m giving up sarcasm for Lent. And it’s really hard.’”
(Stephanie Paulsell in The Christian Century) Have you ever given up something for Lent? Are there causes for which you would sacrifice time and money? It’s a personal thing, I know. I’m glad for any season or occasion that causes us to focus in on how we can make the world around us and within us a better place. ;-) Jack

FROM C.A. IN VEGAS: In a conversation with Shannon a few weeks ago she told me that she gave up wearing socks for lent. I thought that was a little peculiar. I asked her how she could do that with shoes. I always thought it would be a little uncomfortable. She said she's only wearing flip flops until Easter. I guess that works if you live in California (or Las Vegas) not so much in your neck of the woods. Shannon says that she really misses her socks and she has requested I put some in her Easter basket. I started thinking about it and I realized that something that simple really does make a difference in your day to day comfort. I wonder if Jesus ever wore socks?

MORE FROM C.A.: Yep - I am sockless until Easter. I'm not really sure how exactly I thought of that one, but when I did, it seemed like a good idea. I've done the whole giving up a certain type of food before, so I thought I would try something different. It's actually much harder than you might think, even here in California. I miss socks. They're like little hugs for your feet. Other than not having socks, everything is going pretty great here

THE SOCKLESS ONE REPLIES: Yep - I am sockless until Easter. I'm not really sure how exactly I thought of that one, but when I did, it seemed like a good idea. I've done the whole giving up a certain type of food before, so I thought I would try something different. It's actually much harder than you might think, even here in California. I miss socks. They're like little hugs for your feet. Other than not having socks, everything is going pretty great here at CLU.

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: “If you lend someone a book and they never return it, have you given it up for lent?”

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Hi, I used to actively collect aluminum cans and glass bottles until several things happened. One, we began to wonder if the reason I was always sick was because I was pic king up germs and enven though I washed my hands a lot I was not carefull enough, and two. Several youngsters asked me what I was doing, and I said, "I am trying to make this world a better place for you to live in" and they said, "We don't care". So, gradually, I just made sure my immediate world was not made worse by my actions. Then I decided to be more active in creating less pollution including greenhouse gasses. It is amazing how many times I can go around our house and turn off a TV, or light left on in a room. I thought only children forgot, but now a days, a certain adult forgets also. and we travel places much less frequently today. We wonder if a $5.00 tax were placed on gasoline sales people would restrict their driving to necessary tasks, and perhpaps 90% of the cars and trucks we see will begin to have more than one person in them.( the driver ). the Polar Bears don't have a chance.

FROM MY SISTER: I heard giving up chocolate is a good thing, because if you eat too much it makes your clothes shrink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to keep on standing up under the canopy while God is busy molding and sculpting and forming me. It's taking tremendous blood, sweat, tears, time and money because there are various forces opposing that and trying to get me to think I can mold, sculpt and form myself or even trying to get me to go out from being under the canopy. If I let God do it, the world will be a better place.