Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 7/5/19
“I’d like to be remembered for the way I went about doing my job.”  (Goose Gossage)  I remember the Goose for the way he did his job in the 1984 World Series.  His manager wanted him to walk Detroit’s Kirk Gibson.  “No, I can get him out!”  I have a picture of Gibson, hands in the air, circling the bases after hitting a homer.  Awesome!  Gossage also was awesome, a Hall of Fame relief pitcher.  Even the great ones aren’t perfect.  Happy Birthday, Goose!   ;-)  Jack


FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  He was great but Kirk was even greater!  I’m not sure how I want to be remembered...perhaps someone who loved!===JACK:  My choice..."He tried to make a difference."


FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  To me:   That baseball event represents the condition that one never knows when a defining movement in life may occur and how that moment can be part of human history!===JACK:  It can happen way in our lives, too.  I can recall a defining moment.

 FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I wish he were here to give the flailing Cubs a helping arm!  We are hurting big time! :-(===JACK:  It’s been a long time since I was a Cubs fan….Ernie, Ron, Fergie, Holzman, Leo the Lip.  I couldn’t name one person on the current Cubs roster.   I miss the old nicknames…Goose…Fat Freddie…PeeWee…Ducky…Hippo…Schnoz…Jolly Cholly 

FROM NORM'S BLOG:  I suspect it is only as one gets older that they begin to think about that question and the answer that they would like people to remember them by.  There are all sorts of ways to be remembered – many good and many not so good. For many men the answer expressed by Goose Gossage might apply. Men tend to identify themselves with their jobs and most would probably like to be remembered as being  successful at those jobs. Some are thrust into heroic acts in their jobs or lives and will undoubtedly be remembered forever for those acts. Most are not heroes, in that sense, yet you often hear someone being eulogized as being a hero or role model to someone else.  Perhaps that is the best way to be remembered – as someone who lived a life that others want to emulate. You hear them remembered as a good and kind and generous human being who cared about others and went about helping others. That is a great way to be remembered. So, perhaps the best way to rephrase what Gossage said is to change the ending and say, “I’d like to be remembered for the way that I lived my life.”===JACK:  Our thoughts seem to be running on the same track.  It's good that we're travelling in the same direction.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  what did his manager say to Goose when he did not get Gibson to strike out??  was that a rather heated exchange?   just curious... ===JACK:  "I told you to walk him!!"

FROM GOOD DEBT JON:  "I'd like to be remembered for always being empathetic and kind!"  ===JACK:  I'd have no trouble doing your eulogy.===JON:  That would be great Jack, it's scheduled for November 9, 2057.  I'll put your info with my will. Lol===JACK:  I'd be in my 30's at that time...in my 130's.

No comments: