Thursday, July 11, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 7/11/19
“ just respected the game, now my name is in the news.  Got a lot more to prove.”  (Megan Rapinoe)  Talk about excitement! The USA soccer team recently won the women’s World Cup.  Rapinoe’s Nippsy Hussle-like quotes brought excitement, too.  Here’s how I translate what she said:  “I did my best, but I can do better.”  Playing a game, going to school, raising a family or working at a job…“I did my best, but I could do better!”…It’s like that with WWs, too.  ;-)  Jack   

FROM INDY GENIE:  It would be fun to be in the room and watch if you and Megan ever met. I believe the two of you would become fast friends===JACK:  I'd like to see her and Trump go one on one in the same room.

FROM JP IN NAPLES:  Sorry you would see fit to quote someone so disgraceful. Her disrespect of the country that gave her the opportunity to be on the world stage is disgusting. She has set back the enthusiasm for soccer in many quarters. I feel sad for her  team mates like O'hara who scooped up the flag and wrapped around herself. Sorry no justification for Ra===JACK:  Forget the name.  Look at the message.  "I did my best, but I could do better."  Those are words that I would expect you to affirm.  Just because we do not like a person's politics does not mean that we should ignore a positive message from them.

 FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Now if she deserved the respect!===JACK:  The quote was about respecting "the game of soccer," doing your best in whatever you do...and trying to do better in whatever you do.  I purposely did not make it a political message.......oh, I did purposely quote Megan, because I knew it would stir some people up.

FROM GT IN NY:  Sorry but I think “respect” and Ms. Rapinoe’s name don’t belong together. She’s quite crude —even during parade in front of young children.===JACK:  What I sought to to was to highlight the idea that even though we've done well, we can do better.  I try to live by that, and if a soccer player says that even though I played well in a game, I can do better.  ...and as for public behavior, I think that we could all (including Megan) stand a refresher course from Miss Manners.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i was rooting for the netherlands. is that unpatriotic of me?===JACK:  I thought that the World Cup was about which team played the best soccer.  I didn't think that it was a referendum on the best nation in the world or the best behaved players.  So, you chose the Dutch?  So, your team happened to lose.  So, what! ===LIZ:  i think you play for the team that hired you, and you don’t trash your employer in public. do other countries have such spoiled, PRIVILEGED   children on their teams? if so, we don’t hear abt them. ===LIZ;  we libertarians believe that everyone should have the freedom to negotiate their own wage. the ladies generated a fraction of the revenue the men did... why should they be paid the sa

 FROM RS IN TEXAS:  ...and advocating change and equality. 👍===JACK:  There are many messages in the events of life as they happen around us.  We usually find what we're looking for.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'm so pleased she took a stand against going to Trump's White house! My kind of Gal! I hope she continues to "do better". We all need that inspiration, don't we?  You DO better with WW'S! We all appreciate the thought you put into your daily blog!!===JACK:  I try to live by this description of the job of a pastor..."To comfort the afflicted...and to afflict the comfortable."  It was interesting today to see how a (non-political) quote became political.  Let's go back to Monday and listen to Taylor Swift's song again...YOU GOTTA CALM DOWN!

No comments: