Friday, May 24, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 5/24/19
“A poor person isn’t he who has little, but he who needs a lot.”  (German Proverb)  Defining “poverty” can become complicated.  Officially it’s, $25,100 for a family of 4.  “The Coal Miner’s Daughter sang, “We were poor but we had love  That's the one thing that daddy made sure of.”  I remember the poverty of the Great Depression, but I also remember the love.  Gov’t programs have eased financial burdens greatly, but there’s still the need for love.   ;-)  Jack


FROM BLAZING OAKS:  That  is an excellent quote. As Bill used to say; "Want what you have, and you'll always have what you want!" (Which was sometimes hard for me to do!) For a lot of us, "things" become less important as we age. Health and friendship and family top the list of Love! ===JACK:  Growing up in the Great Depression era helped to put things and love into the proper perspective.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good words, Jack.  thanks.   so few Americans have any recollection or knowledge of the Great Depression which shaped the American character for decades.    now we just seem to take prosperity for granted.  this may not be a good thing.  have a good Memorial Day weekend===JACK:  People growing up in this era will be shaped....into what?

FROM WALMART REV:  I can say without a doubt nowadays, I have reached my high school goal (1965) of earning a $10,000 yearly wage . . . I assured myself I would be very content in life with that much money to work with!!!. 0;-))===JACK:  In 1954, my first year of ministry, my salary for serving 3 churches was $4,500...but it was a steady job.  The rewards aren't always financial.

 . .

No comments: