Thursday, May 09, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 5/9/19
“Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others.  If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use.”  (Emily Post)  Emily grew up in a family that always did things “properly,” No elbows on the table!  When she became a writer, proper etiquette became a theme of hers…books, magazine articles and a column appearing daily in 200 newpapers.  Even the 3 Stooges referred to her in describing proper manners: Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!  ;-)  Jack

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i ♥️ her definition.===JACK:  Did you ever serve a "fancy" meal which required special table settings?===LIZ:  not that i recall. i entertain using all sorts of different dining styles...

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Emily Post...the Miss Manners of the past.  I loved to read her “Posts”.  I still read Miss Manners in the newspaper!===JACK:  No Miss Manners for me.  I was too busy with Dear Abby and Ann Landers.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Yesterday was VE Day! I remember going downtown Moline and celebrating! Everyone I knew had good manners when growing up===JACK:  I remember V-J Day more than V-E Day.  V-J Day meant that the WAR was really over...but. as Yogi said, "It ain't over 'til it' over."  It seems as though there's always some conflict going on.





No comments: