Friday, February 22, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 2/22/19
“Understanding human needs is half the job of meeting them.”  (Adlai E. Stevenson)  Even though he lost, I voted for Adlai, because I thought he understood human need.  (He wore shoes with a hole in the sole.)  Many legislators have absolutely no idea of what it means to live “on the edge.”  Paycheck to paycheck; lack of healthcare; food stamps.  This is not a comment on red vs blue…I’m part of the privileged…and maybe you are, too.  More understanding will MAGA.   ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I would have voted for Ike....Adlai and his friends lived in an idealistic world...e.g. They supported Unilateral disarmament which would have led to disaster.   Ike balanced his ethics with the pragmatic approach of a general who had to deal with both Churchill and FDR.    He was neither a liberal or a conservative but tamed McCarthy and dealt with Little Rock wisely.    We could use such a person now.   BTW, I think the church had such a person in Franklin Clark Fry.   The ELCA had Herb Chilstrom who was an abject failure.   It makes a difference. ===JACK:  So.. a couple of examples of me, the idealist and you, the pragmatist.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  My year of social work in Peoria and my summer recreation work in Moline parks made me forever know that many people need help!===JACK:  Sometimes problems are so big that we come to believe that they are impossible to solve, but your work among the poor shows that every little bit helps.  To do nothing simply makes the problem worse.

FROM JF IN NOVA SCOTIA:  Adlai received an introduction that was so long and effusive that it used up a lot of the allocated time for his speech. Nonetheless, when he took the podium he said "After that wonderful introduction, I can hardly wait to hear what I have to say!"===JACK:  When I think of Adlai, the word erudite comes to mind.  Somehow, we've lost that word when we are at the point of choosing our leaders.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  Agreed.  As a counselor for the poor, Gloria sees the effects of living on the edge a lot more than I do.  Actually, I'm participating in a poverty simulation thing at our church a week from Saturday. I would suspect my vision of a great America is different than our president's vision.===JACK:  Again?  Actually, when was America great?  First, we have to define, What is great? before we say, Again.

FROM THE SHARK:  I think that every day my friend.===JACK:  Refugees (especially Chaldean) Have Made Our Community Great ...RHMOCG!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  How very true.  If we all thought more of true needs we would be working harder to help erase them.===JACK: There's an expression that I remember from my growing up years.."What you really need is a swift kick in the rear!"===JUDY:  Good one!!!  I like that!!

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  that idiot Wilbur Ross,  Sec. of Commerce,  who is worth 2 1/2 billion dollars (!)  said publicly that he could not understand why people were so upset because they missed two entire pay checks during the recent shutdown.   as you said,  they are soooo  insulated from the average American... ===JACK:  I remember a time when pastors were invited to experience poverty.  Those who signed up were dropped off on Chicago's Skid Row with absolutely no money or I.D. and were forced to "make do" for a week.  It was a very frightening and humbling experience.  I didn't sign up.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I loved and respected Adlai; He had such wit, and great empathy, it seemed. Proud he was from Illinois! We have many "needy' folks in our congregation now,compared to 20 yrs. ago. Changing neighborhood, and economic times!  Missing a paycheck is a really big deal for the average Joe or Jill. Most of our leaders don't seem to have a clue. We do what we can, with our modest means! As Bill used to quote to our congregation. "It isn't what you'd do,with a million, if  fortune should be your lot; It's what you're doing now with the buck and a half you've got!"  Still true today!===JACK :  A true story.  Some of the church deacons came to me one day and told me of a member who was not paying his bills in town.  He owed many people and businesses.  And yet he continued to be one of the church's biggest givers.  He believed in tithing.  "Pastor, can you talk to him and tell him that he cut down on his giving to the church and begin paying his bills?  Tell him that tithing should not be at the expense of stiffing his neighbors.  What  would you do?





No comments: