Thursday, February 14, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 2/14/19
“There is only one happiness in life: to love and to be loved.”  (George Sand)  “George” was a 19th century female poet who was a romantic rebel (she also smoked cigars and wore trousers).  She and Frédéric Chopin were once “an item.”  Today’s words about “love” are among the most quoted on Valentine’s Day.  Feb 14, honoring a St. Valentine, became less of a religious holiday and more of a romantic one in the 14th century.  Did you ever exchange Valentines in school?   ;-)  Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  School was a long time ago for you and me. But I think I did a few times.===JACK:  I remember exchanging cards in 1st and 2nd grades.  You had to give a card to everyone (even those you didn't want to).  All cards went into a big box and were pulled out one by one.  The name was read, and everybody cheered.  Those were the days.

FROM EMT SINGS IN TRAVERSE:  Hi!  I love Valentines Day.  Rick and I have already exchanged Valentines this morning.  We have sent out 6 boxes of homemade Valentine cookies to our 6 grandchildren.  See what you started almost 29 yrs ago? You did a good job!===JACK:  29 years ago?  You were just a kid.  Did you have to get your mom's permission?  ...and our paths crossed again in Plymouth.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  Not in school but we did celebrate at home and with our neighbours.  We would knock on the door, leave a small gift,  run away and hide.  They were baffled when opening the door to know who had left the package!  Mother would do the same usually leaving gifts for us in a shoebox.  Somehow it was more exciting than Christmas.  I remember one year I was given an umbrella plus other little treats.  HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY====JACK:  Isn't it fun to remember those days.  Did you ever sing the song..."I wish I were a kid again doing all the things I did again?"
For just one day...I'd like that experience to be relived.===BS:  I don't  remember that song but I still love to do things that we did as children.  Today is sunny, a beautiful  blue sky and really warm, 50's and so I  took a long walk to enjoy snowdrops in the grounds of the Roman Catholic  Church here in Poringland.  Hundreds of them, beautiful!  Did you know that snowdrops represent  the  Presentation of Christ in the temple and so they were on the altar on Feb03.===JACK:  No, I didn't about snowdrops.  We have much to learn from one another.

FROM MY LAWYER:  Of course. One for each classmate, boys and girls. Brings back memories. ===JACK:  Do you remain in touch with any of them?  For me?  Elementary classmates?  Most are now deceased...some at an early age.===ML:  Believe it or not, since we’ve been in Florida, for the past 10 years, or so, I’ve reconnected with three women that were in kindergarten with me. There are 17 of us, including we four, that have Sunday brunch together every week. All are from Michigan, most married, some widowed. The men and women sit separately so the guys talk guy talk and vice versa. Bryna’s become friends with each of them.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Yes, we are so blessed to have loved ones in our lives, and to be loved in return!! I sent out many valentines, to all my  "greats" (10 - with "treat" money) and to all our
shut-ins, and some "needy" church friends and a few friends, and my super kids!!  HAPPY VALENTINE DAY, JACK, to a fellow MOLINER and a wise "old" school friend!  I  remember our elementary parties well, as you say, a card for EVERY child and special cupcakes or cookies and drinks!  Many, many, years ago! :-( :-)===JACK:  Since this day honors the saint named, Valentine, I wondered to myself if there was a saint named,  Marilyn.  During that search I discovered that Marilyn is a form of the name, Mary.  WOW!  You have a great heritage.  I counted!  There are at least 12 Feast Days honoring Marilyn (I mean, Mary).===OAKS:  Wow! I'LL HAVE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT!  ===OAKS:  Wow! I'LL HAVE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT!
OH, PROBABLY NOT BAPTIST....(OR EVEN METHODIST) I'M OUT! :-(  STILL SENDING LOVE YOUR WAY, JACK!===JACK:  Isn't it strange that we associate Mary, the mother of Jesus, with the Catholic Church, as though she were a saint for them, exclusively.  Have you ever heard a Baptist preacher eulogize Mary from the pulpit as is so often done with St. Peter, St. John and St. Paul?

FROM JB IN OLV:  Yes in elementary school we made shoe box valentine's boxes in which our classmates put a valentine card.  We were required to bring enough cards so each student received a card from everyone.  Since I was a baby boomer...my class had 48 students.  So it was a very big deal.  Wonderful memories of a simpler time. (for me)===JACK:  Yes, simpler times, but kids are kids...Valentine's Day is still special (I think), recess is still fun, and so are Halloween and snow days.  I'm sure that Santa Claus still brings a smile.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  What a wonderfully true quote!  We decorated boxes for our Valentine’s cards.  It was quite the party at school.  We also made our Valentine’s cards for our relatives.  Happy
Valentine’s Day to you!  I hope it invokes many happy memories!!===JACK:  With your skill as a scrapbooker, you should be able to create a beautiful Valentine's box.  Why not take an oln old shoebox and see what you can come up with...just for the fun of it...and remembering days gone by.


No comments: