Thursday, January 31, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 1/31/19
“My face is my passport.”  (Vladimir Horowitz)  Certain people have unforgettable faces, and Vladimir is one of those people…and his hands, too!  Try YouTubing him playing the piano.  I’ve read that i.d. screeners at the airport will soon be using “face-imaging” to improve security.  Maybe our face will take the place of passwords or code-questions to gain access to the computer or to the ATM.  I’m no luddite when it comes to making the world a safer place.   ;-)  Jack
YouTube Mix - Horowitz Live in Vienna (1987).avi

FROM FISH IN NOVA SCOTIA:  Oscar Wilde visited Halifax, NS at his prime. He was asked by a customs official if he had anything to declare, and replied "only my genius."  We have stayed at the B&B he stayed at. At the time of his visit, it was owned by Anna L (forget the rest of the name) of "Anna and the King of Siam." She left a big estate to the arts in Halifax.===JACK:  Yes, Oscar could be identified by his wit.  Jesus said of false prophets..."By their fruits you shall know them."  A song says:  "They'll know we are Christians by our love."

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Yup!!! And thanks for making me look up “ luddite.”  😄😄😄===JACK:  Every generation seems to have its luddites.

FROM SHALOM JAN:  Good morning! Thanks, Jack, for including Horowitz playing Schumann -- nice birthday present for me today!  I find it so amazing how many ways a piece of music can be interpreted by various performers.  It speaks of the imagination of God in creating us "the same" yet "different". Blessings on your day!  Stay home, stay warm, keep on keeping on.===JACK:  I thought I might be able to pull up Vladimir playing the birthday song for you, but all I could get was him playing music for FDR's birthday.  You can YouTube it, if you are interested.  Enjoy your day!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  My problem is that I like a simple life!===JACK:  As you look back, and as you look at the present, it's been a wonderful life, hasn't it:  I'm glad that I was a part of it.

FROM FRIEND MIKE:  Thanks for the lesson Jack, I had to look up Luddite . ?===JACK:  I just came across your Smokey Stover retirement picture...It brought back some good memories.

FROM HM AT METRO:  I was shocked this Monday at the gate.  Flying to Amsterdam with Delta a camera (and there was a display showing what the camera sees) at the gate looked at my upper torso, zoomed in on my face, beeps, prints out a new (half size) ticket / seat assignment.===JACK:  I'm for things that make flying safer..  Recently, when I opened my checked luggage, I found a note saying that the bag had been opened.  I wonder if a dog had sensed something.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  The Horowitz tape was great; ;I had to listen to the another, then, him playing the Chopin opus 23 "Ocean" which was much more thunderous! Glad I'm not the only one who had to look up Luddite, named for the feeble-minded employee Ned Lud who smashed some frames of his employer. Bet he would be surprised that his name became a word in the dictionary!~!  Our technology has advanced so rapidly, the changes make your head whirl! I just hope it doesn't surpass our wisdom to use it, and we destroy ourselves!! We live in an amazing time in the world!
===JACK:  I wonder if the face-imaging machine would become confused by you and your twin sister?  We have twins in our church that even their father can't tell one from the other.===OAKS:  WOW! THAT is really identical! We had twin boys in our church that were that much alike when they were small; both were in my kid's choir. I think Jan and I looked enough different that the confusion was more about which name belonged to each of us....our family and friends always knew us apart. Teachers, not always...

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I wonder if that works for identical twins???===JACK:  I'm told that it does.  There are subtle differences that human vision is not able to pick up.

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  Jack—I had just come home from a MN Orchestra concert and I sat here and watched the WHOLE thing!  Oh how marvelous!  Thanks!===JACK:  The story of his life is an interesting one, too.  It's worth reading about.

FROM KANSAN DON:  One of the greatest dignities of humankind    is that each successive generation is invested      in the welfare of each new generation.”  --- Mr.Rogers    I believe the documentary, “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?" airs February 9 on Public TV.  Greetings from here — Global Warming needs some renewal.  Next few days in the 40s to 55s (better than the freezing or below on the last week.===JACK:  Won't You Be My Neighbor was the first movie I saw since Inspector Gadget.  Since then, I've seen First Man and a rerun of 2001 A Space Odyssey.



No comments: