Monday, January 14, 2019

Jack’s Winning Words 1/14/19
“If one sticks too rigidly to one’s principles, one would hardly see anybody.”  (Agatha Christie)  Agatha holds the record for the most copies sold of her books,,,over 2 billion…which means you’ve probably read one of them.   A Christie book that intrigues me is called, The Lonely God.  It’s about a god-like statue, tucked away on a museum shelf.  Some lonely people seek help from this God who understands “loneliness.”  What are you seeking from your God?   ;-)  Jack

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Unearned Salvation. Just accept Him as Lord and Savior. ===JACK:  You write that you are seeking "unearned" salvation, then follow it with "just accept."  Not to disagree...why not say that what I am seeking salvation, and I am amazed that it the free gift of God...and not dependent on what I say or do.  That's the basis of Luther's reformation message.  "It is by grace that we are saved...not by our works."  I'm not criticizing, but only pointing out the danger of making salvation dependent on what we say or do.

FROM SS IN MI:  Good question, usually I am seeking peace.===JACK:  There are different kinds of peace.  Freedom from war; peace in a troubled mind or situation; peace from national strife.  On Sunday, I heard someone say to another parishioner..."Pax vobiscum!"  I don't know if that's still used in the Roman Catholic mass, but it's Latin, for "Peace be with you!"

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  I guess to walk along side me in all that I do and say!===JACK:  Perhaps you've heard of this spiritual song...
I want Jesus to walk with me
I want Jesus to walk with me
All along my pilgrim journey
I want Jesus to walk with me
In my trial, Lord, walk with me
In my trials, Lord, walk with me
When the shades of life are falling
Lord, I want Jesus to walk with me
In my sorrow, Lord walk with me
In my sorrows, Lord walk with me
When my heart is aching
Lord, I want Jesus to walk with me
In my troubles, Lord walk with me
In my troubles, Lord walk with me
When my life becomes a burden,
Lord, I want Jesus to walk with me

FROM LBP:  It’s taken me to my middle age to be ok boldly being “me.” The other day a friend was stressed out. I had been loving this new Christmas album I was listening to, so we had a spontaneous dance party in her office. We both laughed and got a little of that tension out. My kids think I’m odd but music makes me happy and sometimes you just need to tap or skip or jazz along ... even if it’s at Meijer ;)===JACK:  I have a hard time imagining you as middle-aged...but I don't have trouble imagining spontaneously dancing in an office or anyplace else.  I was in a church recently where dancers came down the aisle with candles to be placed on the Advent wreath.  I don't think of you as being odd...just un-usual....in the best sense of the word.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Quite amazing that her books are still being bought and read!  still think "Murder on the Orient Express" (1934!) is such a good one,and enjoyed the recent movie  remake of it. "The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side" in another intriguing one I remember (1964).
Involving a famous actress hosting a party in which a murder is committed.  I enjoy reading in the mystery Genre, Not familiar with The Lonely God, but would guess it is fascinating read!  right now I"m seeking the healing powers of God for my son who had a major heart attack, and watch care for my family! I know God watches over us! As Anne Lamott says, we only need two prayers: Help me, Help me, Help me, and Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!  That about does it, doesn't it??
===JACK:   As you pray and wait for healing, be assured that you are NOT alone.  Family and friends pray and wait beside you...and be comforted by the Word(s) of God: "I will never leave you nor forsake you.  "Our Father who art in heaven...Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Just to enjoy each day-especially since I am getting my stitches removed from my lip by the plastic surgeon!===JACK:  I've heard of a surgeon who prays before any work that he does in the operating room.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  What I would need and what I would want are two different things.  Our God has been very good to us but I could use strength, compassion and less anger.===JACK:  I think that God can help with the strength and compassion.  He might leave it to you with the anger control situation.  Where there's a WILL, there's a way.

No comments: