Thursday, October 25, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 10/25/19
“The elderly don’t drive that badly; they’re just the only ones with time to do the speed limit.” (Jason Love)  I know of someone who got arrested for going below the speed limit.  It wasn’t me!  AAA research shows that older drivers are safer than any other group, generally avoiding situations that put them in danger.  A recent study shows that the number of drivers over 65 has increased by 20% in last 10 years.  So, ease up on the horn when see grampa or grandma behind the wheel.   ;-)  Jack

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  The secret is to stay off the main highways like I-4 in Florida and to take the surface roads! To me the traffic is horrendous-especially in Southern California, Washington, Boston, and Miami! Maine is good!===JACK:  A lot of jokes are made about Florida's elderly drivers.  You've probably seen that some of it is true.  But, of course, you're certainly not one of them.

FROM EAGLE EYE JAN:  Is this your own quote?  No one else's name is attached.  I learned a long time ago that it's more dangerous in these parts to travel the speed limit due to tailgaters on my back bumper than it is for me, with decreasing eyesight, to speed up and still try to keep a good following distance between my car and the vehicle ahead of me.  When I was in Houston last winter I learned they follow too close for my comfort because, as more than one person said, "Texans drive as if they're on horses."===JACK:  Thanks for your observation.  I've since made the addition of Jason Love's name.  Jason is a stand-u[ comedian from California.  He probably has some jokes about ordinary California drivers, too.

FROM TL:  Thanks for the good chuckle to start off my day.===JACK:  Don't chuckle too hard.  You'll be old one of these days, too.

FROM DR J:  my first week of “retirement” I had a car following me very closely, then pass me and scream bad things at me…. all for… going the speed limit.  I find myself slowing down and enjoying the ride more often now… and I LIKE IT!===JACK:  Which car gets the most reaction, the Bug or the Bolt?

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good words for today,  Jack.  thanks!  i am putting this quote in my sermon file on aging!    i have given this sermon  twice down in AZ and i always get lots of positive feedback.===JACK:  Isn't it about time from your annual migration to Trumpland?  Are sermons different there from those in Minnesota.  Don't "snow" me with "I preach the Gospel in both places."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  That’s funny but also true.  Several of my friends are struggling with how to get their parents to stop driving because they are truly unsafe drivers.  We got a call from an aunt saying she saw my dad driving 20 mph down M72 in a 55 mph zone.  We all talked quickly to figure out how to tell my dad he couldn’t drive anymore.  But thank the Good Lord, Dad walked in the house and tossed the keys to me sister and said “I’m done driving!”    It must be so frightening to lose your freedom to drive.===JACK:  It "means" something when young people first get a license to drive.  It also "means" something when that license to drive is taken away from the elderly.

FROM LK IN NV:  Everyone has the time to drive without electronic devices===JACK:  I know someone who owns two self-driving cars.  Do they count as electronic devices?







No comments: