Monday, October 22, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 10/22/18
“My desire is to walk with God every day.”  (Janine Turner)  I miss TV’s Northern Exposure with Janine Turner as Maggie.  What I didn’t know about Janine was that her great-grandfather left her 365 typewritten pages of “Wisdom for Each Day.”  Today’s thought is from one of those pages.  Wise words from Grandpa!  Could the WWJD bracelet be a reminder that we’re walking with God every day?  You can YouTube Janine talking about Front Porch Philosophy.   ;-)  Jack
Janine Turner Front Porch Philosophy - YouTube

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  What a nice memento her great grandfather left her….and others as she shares.===JACK:  Do you have anything special left to you by a grandparent?  I have a letter sent to me by my grandmother congratulating me on becoming a pastor.  After receiving that letter, hers was the first funeral I conducted...along with my cousin who was a Catholic priest.===CAROL:  After my grandma died, I was given a meat fork, meat knife, and a meat cleaver that she had used.  A couple of my aunts had cleaned out Grandma’s apartment when she went into the nursing home and saved things for each of us grandchildren. When my mom died, my sisters and I divided up some other treasures of Grandma’s – I have four sauce dishes from her good dishes and a green milk glass sugar bowl she got from purchasing gas…a thing in northern MN.  I also have a crocheted edged camisole that belonged to my grandmother too.  I’d rather have a few more minutes of time spent with her instead – but good to have these fun memories.  I never knew my grandparents on my dad’s side.  They died before I was born.  I’m sure you treasure your letter from your grandmother, but how sad you had to do her funeral so soon after.===JACK:  If something were to happen to that letter I'd remind myself..."It's the memory that important.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  my dad loved that show. i never saw it... not sure why.===JACK:  An all-time favorite for me.  The characters were sooooreal!  A niece of mine has every episode on dvd.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I too enjoyed Northern Exposure, but did not single out "Maggie", who was very good in her part. Interesting insight into her family!  Bill had a saying on his desk (I forget who said it!) "The purpose of Life is to spend it for something that will outlast it".  The ministry is a pretty good opportunity to do that!  Walking with God every day leads to some unique "adventures" and opportunities, and her phrasing 'My desire is" acknowledges that we do not always do what we hope to do or try to do, day by day !  Hence, Thankfulness for a forgiving God!!===JACK:  I can't remember a day when I regretted living the life of a pastor.  With Winning Words, I feel that I'm still living that life.

FROM BB IN CHCO:  I watched Northern on occasion and found it funny and touching.  What an inspirational idea about the daily wisdom.  It might take me decades to compile such a list but…God willing, I have at least a few years===JACK:  In the past you've shared with me things and ideas that have been passed on to you by both of your parents.  We each do it in our own way.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We should all desire to walk with God everyday.  One of my favorite anthems is “My God and I”.  It’s wonderful to know He is with us everywhere and always!  We did watch a little of Northern Exposure.  We’re not big tv watchers. Really enjoy her Front Porch talk!  Sent it to Family and friends! ===JACK:  Janine's life has been more than what's seen on the screen.  I'm sure that Grandpa and his words helped straighten things out.


No comments: