Thursday, October 18, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 10/18/18
“Don’t borrow trouble.”  (Liesa’s Mom)   Good advice from Liesa’s mom!  How about some more?  “You are who you are…All things in moderation…Just do your best…There’s good touch and bad touch…Will it matter in 100 years…Always tell the truth…Don’t attend every argument you’re invited to.”  Someone (I can’t remember who) wrote a book: Lessons My Mother Taught Me That Changed My World Forever.   What things did you hear from your mom?  ;-)  Jack

FROM CZB:  Here are some sage words from mom that made a lasting impression on me:  “No one can criticize you for being kind to everyone.”  “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say it.”
(Linda and Kathy? What do you remember?)===JACK:  Thanks for bringing back the memories of your mom.  I can "hear" her saying those things===FROM KZB: Those are my favorites. I tell Dylan that first one all the time. I don’t remember mom and dad giving out tons of advice, but I do remember them setting an amazing example!  Mom was so caring and loving, but had that firm edge that made you not cross the line!  We were lucky to have parents that taught by example!  I want to pull out what we said at her funeral again to remember.AND, =I remember 3 big lessons from Dad:
1) Don't marry someone thinking you can change them. They are who they are. (used to dissuade me from Bryce)  2) Learn / go to school so you can take care of yourself  3) Don't spend money you don't have. (Used when I wanted to go to Europe with Marya & Sue after graduation).==JACK:  "I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day!"===FROM LZW:  I thought about it and couldn't come up with others for Mom. Just remember the look when I was doing something wrong or the use of my full name - Linda Karen. Ditto on Kathy's words!  But here are a few from Dad:  - Better than a sharp stick in the eye! - It will never be as good tomorrow as it is today. (Used when looking at the leftover dessert at dinner to decide - Should we eat it now or save it! We usually did not save it. ; )  Wonder what my kids remember as my sayings?!===JACK:  Why not ask those kids?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  How to enjoy life and how to help people who need help===JACK:  Well!  You have seemed to enjoy life, and I know that you've done a lot to help people.  Lesson learned!

FROM TL IN KH:  Waste not, want not...Follow your heart...If you have your health, you have everything.===JACK:  In many ways our lives have been guided by mom's advice.

FROM EASTSIDE RAY:  Mom told me that “Nothing good happens after midnight”;  my dad told me that “If I didn’t use my head, I would have to use my feet”.  I love and miss you, Jack.  I can’t wait to get up and read the Winning Words for the day===JACK:  Thanks for introducing me to the Polish Yacht Club in Detroit...and some other neat places, too.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  they don't care how much you know until they know how much you care...     a good motto for life...  also, if you come to a fork in the road, take it!😀  yogi berra ===JACK:  I didn't know that your mom was a Yogi fan.

FRIM WALMART REV:  "Someday I won't be around to help you get through life, so be sure to listen to Jack every morning?!" Something like that, I think?! 0;-)===JACK:  My mom died at 102, so I had the advantage of her advice into my adult years.  Did you parents encourage you to become a pastor?===REV:   Not really . . . raised me in a Christian home, always had me present in most church services held during the week and I became involved in all the camp and youth rallies growing up. The choice came from a personal experience I had right after graduating from high school with the movie, "I'd Climb the Highest Mountain" and the role of the pastor and church played throughout the movie . . . for some reason, I identified with it, became very emotional watching it and 50 years ago made a definite decision to become a pastor. 0;-)===JACK:  There's usually a story behind the story.  Thanks for sharing yours.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  patience & fortitude...===JACK:  Did you ever hear the sister singers, Patience and Prudence?===LIZ:   no, but i love the name “pru.”===JACK:  Do you know the meaning of, prudence?
Patience And Prudence - Tonight,You Belong To Me - YouTube
===LIZ:  i certainly do, as it would be imprudent were i to call myself a writer/linguist and not know that!

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  Don’t judge a book by it’s cover; Remember to say “please” and “thank you”;sit like a lady; If your friends jump off a bridge are you going to follow?; Remember your manners; Be home before dark; Turn off the lights; Shut the refrigerator!; Shut the door – were you born in a barn? (Wonder if Mary told Jesus this?)===JACK:  I wonder if Mary ever had Jesus memorize the Ten Commandments?

FROM SHALOM JAN:  Be polite.  It may change things.===JACK:  Be on the lookout for someone being polite today...and give them a smile and a "Thank-you."

FROM DS FROM SOCAL:  My "biggies" from my mom was "be honest, and never steal".  I'm trusting she didn't mean never "steal" when I was playing basketball.  That was my favorite thing to do.===JACK:  I loved to get away with things when the ref wasn't looking (only one official in those days).  BB...what a fun game.  I'd rather play than watch.

FROM MY LAWYER:  Two things:  1.  Be nice to people; and   2.  When it doubt, don't!!! ===JACK I know that you practice first!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I don’t borrow trouble as I have enough of my own.  Seriously, my mom was a stickler for manners...no elbows on the table, no humming at the table, pick up your messes, chores done etc etc.  I can tell you, the five of us kids were welcomed anywhere.  My dad had a lot of important wealthy clients and they always welcomed us kids because of the way my mom taught us.  She was never unkind but we knew our manners and how to say thank you and your welcome.  We sent thank you notes too.  And, I taught and am teaching my children and grandchildren the same.  Ps. I still get thank you notes from my grandson Noah!===JACK:  Just like with "Faith," Politeness is just one generation away from being lost.===JUDY:  How very true.  It’s amazing watching these protestors and politicians just speak so much hatred.  I truly believe most people aren’t like that but they never get on the news!  We just have to spread kindness with smiles and speaking kindness.

FROM LHK IN NVILLE:  How will you feel about your actions/ situation in 10 minutes, 10 hours,10 days,10 months,10 years, 10 decades ?===JACK:  I have an attention span, but I haven't quite tested for 10 decades.

FRO SANDYBEE:  My mother taught me this little ditty: “Good, better best…Never let it rest…until your good is better…and your better is best.”===JACK:  In catalog shopping, I usually choose the Best when the choice of items is listed as good, better and best.  That's good advice for life, too.

FROM EMT SINGS:  My Mother was so wise and as you know she lived the last 51/2 years with us down in Plymouth.  One time when I was stewing about something (or someone)  and thought I should bring it up for discussion, she told me " I think you should let sleeping dogs lie" .  Best advice I ever got!  I still miss her wise and quiet words!===JACK:  I remember that she usually had a smile on her face, too.









No comments: