Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 10/16/18
“Do not shorten the morning by getting up late.  Look upon it as the quintessence of life, as to a certain extent, sacred.”  (Arthur Schopenhauer)  Are you an early bird or a night owl? Schopenhauer was a morning person, seeing the dawn as “something sacred.”   I like mornings!  …the sound of chirping birds…fresh-brewed coffee…the newspaper.  What surprises me about Arthur is how he could love the mornings, and be such a pessimist the rest of the day.   ;-)  Jack

FROM PM:  This morning person is always eager for your early morning emails! As a teacher your emails were a part of my every morning. They were the first thing I read when I got to work. Now they are a part of my quiet time before my kiddos get up.  I appreciate your emails!===JACK:  People don't usually hate getting up when they have something positive to look forward to.  A life that is going well is one of those incentives.  I feel sorry for those who have multiple problems and just want to pull the covers over their head.

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  Definitely a morning person!===JACK:  ...always have been!  And you get up six hours before I do.

FROM SF:  I’m right with you. Love the mornings with my chirping birds, coffee (served bedside..yup), the newspaper, and sunrise over the lake. The trees are putting in their fall dresses and mirroring onto the lake. What a perfect showing of color and quiet reflection. ❤️===JACK:  Someone asked, "Do you wake up, grumpy?"  The reply. "No, I let him sleep in, otherwise he'd be grumpier."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I am a late riser now but all my life I used to be an early one! At this stage of life-whatever works!===JACK:  I almost never have used an alarm clock.  I just seem to wake up at the right time.  During your working years, did you need a "waker upper?"===SHIRL:  You know I don’t remember that fact. My last job was with the airlines and I was on the evening shift. Time certainly flies, doesn’t it?

FROM CJS:  I like mornings too.  I wake up at 4:20 am every day and I'm grateful for each day.  ===JACK:  I wake up early and go to the computer so that Winning Words will appear 1st thing for those who get up at 4:20 AM.

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  his pessimism started shortly after he read the paper!!===JACK:  Maybe his pessimism was due to living with poodles and cats and no wife.===PAUL:  that would do it for me!☺

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  I think the day, no matter what part of it, is what we make it.  The optimist sees the glass as half full, the pessimist as half empty  -  the opportunist as a chance for free wine.  Hope YOUR day is great!===JACK:  In Sunday School I learned this song (good for early-risers):
This is the day, this is the day  That the Lord has made, that the Lord has made
I will rejoice, I will rejoice  And be glad in it, glad in it
This is the day that the Lord has made  I will rejoice and be glad in it
This is the day, this is the day  That the Lord has made
===RS:  A good thing to put on the bathroom mirror (or whatever place you see first in the morning). ===JACK:  I know of a guy who actually sings the song.

This is the day that the Lord has made - YouTube


FROM LHK:  That is not surprising. I can only speak to decades of adjusting to both morning and late night.  Those who take pride in needing little sleep and rising before dawn are nuts.  We do know a bit about the brain.   Those who can flip between both are the bright stars without pretense. ===JACK:  I guess that's why we're called, individuals!  We each paddle our own canoe...and not always on the same lake or in the same kind of weather.===L:  Freedom to excel.  It reminds me of a story of a third grade boy who got sent to the principle's office 80 some years ago. It was reported to me that this student told the teacher to jump in the lake, rather than seizing a learning moment she scolded the boy.   We can do better than that !   Who was the boy and what has he done as an individual?===JACK:  Maybe I should stop telling stories like that.===L:  As always, my curiosity( sincere desire to learn) tends to lead to more questions.  Lately, there has been a ton of lake and weather inferences.  This holds true in daily encounters with a variety of people.  What is up with that?===JACK:  Sometimes we overthink on some things.  It can lead to paralysis by analysis.  Having said that, I think that curiosity is a good thing.  Sydney J. Harris wrote a book...Things I Learned While Looking Up Other Things.  I'm a curious cat, too.

FROM AMcC:  Funny===JACK:  Schopenhauer was a "funny duck."  Have you ever heard that expression before?

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i am both, tho less of a night owl than i used to be.===JACK:  That's another thing that seems to happen with the aging process.  It's not good or bad...It is  what it is. ===LIZ:  yep, teenagers/young adults sleep till noon, miss half the day. but that keeps their disagreeable selves away from the rest of us.  i love to watch the dawn, relish the peace.===JACK:  "Grandpa misses half the night!"  (That's OK with me.  Been there; done that.)





No comments: