Friday, September 07, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 9/7/18
“Do you want to live on Flip Flop Lane in Margaritaville?”  (Parade Magazine 8/12/18)  The new trend in housing is to develop neighborhoods which attract people with common interests: singles, children, Boomers—even one for veterans with PTSD.  “The hot word is communal!  People are looking for a new kind of living, real neighborhoods.  “The old has become new.”  Privacy fences are coming down.  Walls aren’t popular.  Make way for the Buffetteers!   ;-)  Jack

 FROM LG IN MI:   People who are fans/followers of Jimmy Buffet are lovingly referred to as Parrotheads.===JACK:  You must be a fan!  Do you wear flip flops, too...and like Margaritas?  ===LG:   Not a "fan", don't wear flip flops. but I do like a good Margarita occasionally!===JACK:  That's how I picture you...and with no ponytail or bun, either.

FROM DM IN LIV:  A resounding YES!!!  😊===JACK:  What is Flip Flop Lane for you?  People who live in like-minded neighborhoods?  People who like Buffett music?  People who dislike fences and walls?  All, none, some of these?===DM:  People who love the ocean and beach, wear flip flops everyday and love Buffett music. 😊===JACK:  How about ponytails?===DM:  I’ve always loved ponytails!===JACK:  On men or women or both?===DM:  I loved wearing them.  I guess I never was a fan of the man ponytail or the man bun. 😊

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  is that a reference to Warren Buffett?? ===JACK:  His followers are called, Profiteers, not Buffetteers.

FROM LS:  Good morning .   I continue to appreciate and thank you for your words each morning.
As I read your winning words, I agree that people are seeking to live near people and are attracted to people with common “interests”.   (You used the word communal which, to me is a different concept of sharing and exchanging for the good of all.  )   I write  here to the concept/attitude/trend you speak of in your winning words this morning that I see creating silos and building  “walls “ to those with disabilities, veterans, children in the name of common interests. Let them live together with their own is the concept/attitude/ trend that is growing.  Walls that keep out those that want to live in “our “ neighborhood but do not “fit into” the chosen, protected interest”  The attitude that accompanies this way is thinking is - Those that do not fit into our common interest should find their own group and live with them.  Then they and we will be happy living with “our own”. Sadly,  I see that this attitude is moving people away from my perception of the world where I seek to know, understand, learn and grow from my neighbors  “differences”.  It is ironic to me,  at a time when technology gives us the ability to explore our great universe and beyond,  the smallness of our minds towards each human miracle on this abundant planet earth is becoming smaller.  I shall continue to dream of enjoying  living in my neighborhood, sipping lemonade on my  front porch in a padded rocking chair with love in my heart  - engaging in conversation, with intention,   neighbor to neighbor-  honoring and respecting each.===JACK:  I like my neighborhood because of its diversity.  In a sense, there is a sameness about those who like diversity.  Xenophobics might want to live someplace else.

FROM WALMART REV:  I think I will continue to lock our doors . . . at least for a little while longer. Fran I were out in Palm Springs, California last year as guests of one of our more affluent families in the church . . . I have never seen so many gated communities with small golf courses on the inside!===JACK:  Were there any Walmarts or AG churches in those neighborhoods?

FROM RS:  Hopefully we might get some neighborhoods with both Democrats and Republicans that actually talk with ....and listen to....each other.  What a concept.===JACK:  Who's going to pay for the wall?  How about the Republicans pay for building the wall and the Democrats pay for tearing it down?  Having said that, Robert Frost had some good advice..."Good fences make good neighbors."  ===RS:  How about neither side pay anything and learn to get along as neighbors?  I never like spending time, effort and money addressing a problem that could have been avoided in the first place.===JACK:  That presumes a neighborhood of reasonable people...and that's what you were opting for in  your original posting.

 FROM PASTY PASTOR:  Thanks for your morning thought provoker.   This one, though, I read as “WARNING” words.
America is more and more afraid of talking with anyone other than their own tribe.   My projection is that fear drives such tendencies and is destructive to Democracy.

Tribalism builds fences.  Privacy fences are coming up, not down... it is simply that the yard  has been enlarged and fence lines stretched longer to encircle a same-as-me neighborhood in which I feel safe.  COMMUNAL is indeed the trend so long as we agree with one another.  I’m interested if you see things opposite of what I perceive===JACK:  I'm saying that people who like diversity like to live among like-minded people.  Calling it, communal, simply gives credence to: "Birds of a feather."  It works that was with congregations, too.  I guess that what I'm looking for is a neighborhood where people understand or are seeking to understand.

FROM PASTY PASTOR:  Morning, Jack.  Thanks for your usual morning eye-opener.   I just finished the Washington Post article on  How segregated housing helped liberal Sweden’s far right dominate the debate.    This past week they got 18% of the vote....JACK:  Life is always presenting us with dilemmas.  "You're damned if you do and damned if you don't."  I guess Joshua's advice is the best, "Choose this day whom you will serve."





No comments: