Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 8/29/18
"The beginning of compunction is the beginning of a new life.”  (George Eliot)  I’ll never forget the teacher who said, “You can do better, Jack.”  I felt compunction.  I could do better.  Most of us know that there are things that we can do better in this life—a better parent, a better boss/employee, better language, and like me, a better student.  The old song put it this way: “You can be better than you are.”  Make the attempt…and it can be the start of a new life.   ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  "Or would you rather swing on a star and carry moonbeams home in a jar?"    Wasn't that Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters?===JACK:  The song was in the movie, Going My Way, in which Bing was a priest at Boys Town.  I like this verse..."And all the monkeys aren't in a zoo  Every day you meet quite a few  So you see it's all up to you  You can be better than you are  You could be swinging on a star."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Always do your best, God will do the rest!===JACK:  Is that what you told your children?

FROM PROUD MARY:  In my eyes you are “swinging from a star”. Thanks for the song of the day! ===JACK:  Did you ever teach that song to pre-schoolers?===MARY:  Yes, I did. They love the classic oldies ❤️===JACK:  How do you like your Tina Turner moniker?===MARY:  well...it’s a lot to live up to  but i'll do my best.  don't want to end up with that feeling of compunction...although that feeling has helped me many times to turn-about and do the right thing!

FROM ANNE McC:  "You could be swinging from a star".  Rarely here or read compunction anymore.===JACK:  I purposely used the word, compunction, to stir up the brains of my readers.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  That’s the 100 million dollar question!!  It has been the same question since mankind was dropped on this planet!  When will we understand each other?===JACK:  There used to be a radio quiz show where the top prize was 64 silver dollars.  To win the prize you had to answer a tough question.  "That's the 64 dollar question" became a phrase to describe what you called "the 100 million dollar question."  Times change.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  COMPUNCTION- now that's a word you don't hear every day!  But it's a good one.  Jan's 4 girls used to sing "Swinging on a Star" in their Mother's Day program...each girl would sing a verse, and all would harmonize on the chorus. Precious Memories, and a great song!  Good movie, as well!  I once had a student who came into my classroom with a history of D's and F's on his report card, but I discovered he had a very good mind...in fact his hobby was creating intricate ships inside a bottle!  Real works of art! I told him that he was going to shine in H.S. when his studies caught up with his mind. The next year as a Freshman, he came back over to my room, and threw his report card on my desk: All A's, except a B in P.E.!:-) He went on to become a well known
 Engineer in our Area.  Maybe he found compunction?? We all need to, at some point.===JACK:  You exemplified the "good" teacher...like Mr Eckblad, my chemistry instructor.  Did you ever have him in high school?


.





No comments: