Monday, August 27, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 8/27/18
“My faith has sustained me in very difficult times.”  (John McCain)  Put yourself in McCain’s shoes…brain cancer, skin cancer, bad things being said about you, a Navy pilot in an unpopular war, shot down, a POW for 5 ½ years, beaten & tortured.  I’m always amazed at people who go through so much trouble and are able to say, “My faith has sustained me.”  I think of the words of Prophet Job: “Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him.”  Certain people inspire me!   ;-)  Jack

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  good words for today or for any day, Jack.  thanks...===JACK:  We all have difficulties at one time or another.  It's good to be reminded of the help that can be found in a religious faith.===PAUL:  very true but i sense fewer and fewer Americans now believe this. ===JACK:  Not believing something does not make it untrue.  Who has the responsibility for seeing to it that truths continue...the seeker or the teacher or the writer?===PAUL:  or all three perhaps.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I think every decent person is inspired  by John McCain's integrity, deep thinking, and patriotism. I'll always remember how gracious he was in losing the presidency to Barack Obama. He advised him, publicly defended him when some Congressmen were critical, and
warmly welcomed him to the  White House. That take's a generous spirit and largeness of soul. I'm sure his faith sustained him then, as well.===JACK:  Part of that quote that I did not include was, "I am a Christian and go to church regularly."  I did not include it, because I think that some people would equate faith with church going and a particular religion.===QAKS:  Even better! I like the whole quote...I tend to equate faith with attending one's church, synagogue or Mosque! If you're a  Christiian, it's church.===JACK:  I didn't go to church last Sunday.  Does that make my faith less than those who did?  ..===OAKS:  Not my Circus; Not my monkeys! Far be it from me to
judge what you or others do about attending church!  I have my hands full managing MY choices!

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Great is Thy Faithfulness!    He was a faithful man – by all accounts, to his country, his wife and his faith.  I am gobsmacked that anyone has the audacity to disrespect a military veteran with his record of service.===JACK:  Folks in my past used an expression: "I thought I'd never live to see the day when...."  Now, I find myself saying it.

FROM FM: IN WIS:  Jack, a great word today for a man for whom I had a lot of respect!    May God grant comfort to his loved ones. ===JACK:  He wasn't perfect, but he loved his country even to the point of "suffering" for it.   He was a man of values.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Thank you for sending. A tough guy one wanted on his side in conflicts.===JACK:  Sometimes it takes a military person with combat experience to understand a military person with combat experience.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  It is hard to imagine a life without faith, isn’t it?===JACK:  For me?  Yes!  But, I know that there're many people out there who are turned off by things religious, including, faith.  As a pastor, I always found it challenging to get through to them.  Example seemed to work better than argument.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  He was an amazing man!  God rest his soul!===JACK:  "In You I rest, in You I found my hope   In You I trust, You never let me go  I place my life within Your hands alone  Be still, my soul  Be still, my soul   Be still, my soul."  These words are from the hymn, "Be Still My Soul," with the music composed by Jean Sibelius.

FROM ANNE McC:  I read his books when I was working.  I must read them again. They are probably in one of our bookcases.===JACK:  Old books are like old friends.  You need to reconnect once in a while.


















No comments: