Monday, August 20, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 8/20/18
“Don’t judge some just because they sin differently than you.”  (From Katie Wiese)  When the Univ of Michigan hockey team scores a goal, the fans stand and point a finger at the opposing goalie and yell, “It’s all your fault!”  There’s lots of finger pointing these days.  Someone once told me that when you point the finger at someone, notice that there are 3 pointing back at you.  Jesus said, “Let the one who is without sin point the finger,” or something like that.   ;-)  Jack

FRO RS IN TEXAS:  Or perhaps do it in front of a mirror ===JACK:  Do mirrors reveal what you REALLY want to see?===RS:  Unfortunately not, but it will probably give us a clue as to what others are seeing when they look at us.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  While sin is sin, there are some sins that are far worse than others.   I would say murder is worse than swearing RO one's self when we are hitting our thumb with a hammer.....genocide certainly ranks up among the most vile of sins.===JACK:  Ultimately sin is "going against God's will for us," so in that sense, there is no gradation.  It's when we equate sin with human law there is a gradation,i.e., some sins are worse than others.  You'd make a good Roman Catholic with venial and mortal sins.===JOHN:  I think there is a difference....thou shalt not kill makes it into the Ten Commandments....a lot of others don't.....I know Jesus seems to close the gap in the sermon on the mount;yet, I can't think that detesting someone ranks right up there with murdering them.    The Matthean context is a diatribe against perfectionists not a statement that all sins are if the same level of evil.     We need to keep things in context.    The Lutherans are so hung up on grace that they forget the law.===Jack:  Even the Commandments are subjective.  As I've said before, actions can be right or wrong, depending on an interpretation of the situation.  ...and, as for grace, I'm hoping for a God of grace, rather that  a God who is a legalist.  You pick yours, and I'll pick mine.  ===JOHN:  I perceive that he is a just God.   If not, we are in an awful bind.    Justice demands both law and gospel.    A gracious God demands repentance.   Repentance carries with it transformation....transformation entails a law by which we can learn how to act.   Grace is not cheap.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:   A sin is a sin no matter how small!   Ones not different than another I recall.     With apologies to The Cat in The Hat!!!===JACK:  A simple, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner," seems to cover it all.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I am not here to judge people!===JACK:  Like it, or not, I am forming opinions all of the time...things, situations...even people.  That's the way my mind works.  ===SHIRL:  Mostly I just enjoy people-who are all different and interesting!===JACK:  You should be right at home in Heaven.







No comments: