Monday, August 13, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 8/13/18
“Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.”  (Anne Frank)  I just read of something new, the GOODNEWSPAPER, a newspaper full of good news about people, ideas and movements, aiming to make the world a better place.  As a child, Fred Rogers was afraid of “the news.”  His mother advised, “Look for the helpers!  You’ll always find them.”  There is good in this world, and when you focus on it, you’ll send a hopeful message to others.   ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I think we need to keep r eyes open and see the whole thing ...good and evil.....better able to deal with it all if we are not sheltered from it.===JACK:  In my opinion, I'm aware of the negative, which helps me choose the positive.  That applies to many of the choices I make...my friends...my church...my politics...my weltanschauung.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Accentuate the positive! I think there is a song about this ===JACK: You were probably a teen-ager when Johnny Mercer made that song popular...
 You've got to accentuate the positive  Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative  Don't mess with Mister In-Between
===SHIRL:  That was a long time ago wasn’t it? It has a great message!

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  another good one, Jack .  thanks!    i did some preaching yesterday at a church over in Newport,  on the eastside of St. Paul.  about 80 people in attendance.  i was representing LSS.  a small but quite active church.  very warm and welcoming.   reminded me a lot of SLLC in the 1970s.===JACK:  Sometimes we equate success with numbers, but how to measure success is more elusive than that.  "Beauty (success) is in the eye of the beholder."  God is the only judge in this Beauty Contest!"

FROM DB:  That's exactly what the world needs. Can you please share its website or how one may view it please?JACK:  Just Google:  GOODNEWSPAPER

FROM BB IN CHGO:  I loved that concept of “look for the helpers” and thought that was a highlight of the documentary.  Goodnewspaper sounds like a great venture. I would like a reality show depicting thoughtfulness, kindness, forgiveness and positive values instead of smut and hollering and tearing people apart.===JACK:  I would like a miracle to happen resulting in our leaders showing a concern for basic values rather than political self-preservation.  The only ones who seem to speak out are those not running for re-election.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  There’s so much more beauty in the world than the ugly.  But you don’t hear about it!  It’s not hard to find though!===JACK:  "Good News" people often can see beauty in what others call, "ugly."  Buy, you have to look for it.  A woman, because of her illness, had many hospital admissions.  After her latest one, she was heard to remark, "I wonder what God for me to do here this time?"

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Beautiful===JACK: While Anne Frank was in hiding, there was a window which allowed her to see outside, to see nature.  One of nature's gifts to her was a horse chestnut tree.  That tree is now gone, but a cutting produced another tree which was planted and is now growing at the Holocaust Center, 5 miles from where I live.

FROM INDY GENIE:  Today’s WW’s are words to live by, that’s for sure. Your beautiful story of Anne Frank’s Horse Chestnut tree reminded me of 2 quotes by Maria Montessori.
I believe Anne Frank attended a Montessori school.
(I also spend my days in a Montessori school....lucky me:)

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  That sounds like a great newspaper to read!  I remember one of the female
folk singers singing a song "What's the Good News? Hey! What's the good News today?" I arranged it for our Youth choir, who dressed as "Newsies" hawking their newspapers while they sang!  There are many good people everywhere! Last week the blind man that I pick up for Bible Study at church lost his billfold with over a hundred dollars in it...We tracked it down at the large Super market he'd gotten some groceries at, and someone had found it in the Men's RR and turned it in, money and credit cards intact.It was kind of funny, when the manager asked Brian what color his billfold was, he said, I don't know the color, but it is leather, and I'll know the way my money is folded in it." (Turned out it is brown: now he knows what color his billfold is!:-)  Heartwarming when these good things happen!!===JACK:   I don't suppose that story made the Journal-Register or Sherman's Village News.  Maybe your Church Newsletter will carry it.

No comments: