Thursday, July 26, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 7/26/ 18
“I don’t think the public knows what it wants; this is the conclusion I have drawn from my career.”  (Charlie Chaplin)  My first Presidential vote was for Harry Truman, so I was sad to see the headline, “Dewey Wins!”  But, the Chicago Tribune has misread the public. No robo-calls in those days; no focus groups; no sophisticated polling.  Is it any better today?  Do you think that your voice is being heard?  BTW,  Charlie Chaplin made the kind of movies I like.     ;-)  Jack   

FROM BS IN ENGLAND:  I do think that most politicians are in it for their own financial  gain.  If you look at the parliament sessions  on tv there are very few present, some are even sleeping!  I am working with our MP to reinstate Angela's continuing healthcare funding.  He promised to visit the home to see for himself Angela's needs, I'm  still waiting.  Now the houses of parliament are on holiday for 10 weeks!  We are experiencing  really hot weather for England,  over 90's with very few places air conditioned.  Not good!  Fortunately my car does have air conditioning.  We have had no rain here in Norwich since May.===JACK:  I still marvel that I'm able to be in contact with you, on another side of the world, to hear that your weather is similar to mine, to learn that politics there is similar to politics here, and that personal problems continue to exist everywhere.  "Don't give up hope" is a message for people everywhere.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  we, as a nation, are divided by the news channel we watch... crazy times! ===JACK:  That may be true, but hearing from more and more people that there're turning off the news...in fact, doing other things that watching TV.  Philosopher George Santayana's 1863 words come to mind for me..."Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  I also remember the song..."This my Father's world, O let me ne'er forget that though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet."===LIZ:  alas, we are wising up!===JACK: Instead of "Alas," I would substitute, "At last!"===LIZ:  and add “hallelujah!”

FROM WALMART REV:  I think "the jury" is still out negotiating as to whether it's better today?! 0;-)===JACK:  As in most trials, it depends on the makeup of the jury.  Each time there's an election, we pick our juries.  I'm waiting for the next election.===REV:  It definitely will be interesting?! ===JACK:  In each election there are winners and losers.  There's a heaven, and there's a hell.

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  Truthfully I think it is worse today.  We have an election coming up in August and I can’t tell you the names of the candidates, except for one local young man.  We don’t hear what their platforms are, what is their background or reason for running.  All we hear/see are the negative campaigning on TV.  I do not like polls taken over the phone – have no idea who, what or where this information is to be used and how much more junk mail it will put in our mailbox or more robo generated calls will come from giving my opinion.  The first Presidential convention I can remember watching was for Eisenhower and hearing the states call out who they were casting their votes for – “THE GREAT STATE OF WHATEVER CASTS THEIR VOTES FOR”  Now it seems whoever has the biggest war chest gets put into position.  I don’t think our voices are being heard as so many politicians are in the pockets of special interest groups that they can’t listen to us. ===JACK:  Only one candidate came to me door, and I wasn't home.  But, she took the time to write out a personal note on a card and left it.  Even though she's young and "inexperienced" I like that about her...and that she cared enough to leave a handwritten note...my kind of politician.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  That was an exciting election! I remember seeing president Truman at his whistle stop in rock island! These are exciting times too!   President Trump is coming to Tampa on Tuesday!===JACK:  I wonder if Paul Douglas would show up at a Trump Rally?===SHIRL:  Well, you worked for him, so you should know.===SHIRL:  I was on his office for two and a half months Jan feb March of 1954 in the legislative office. The McCarthy hearings were going on and the Puerto Rican’s shot up the floor of the House! Then we went to Europe for five months-all a great way for a teacher to enrich herself or himself!===JACK:  The McCarthy hearings were riveting TV.  Do you recall if they were discussed in Douglas's office?

FROM GOPHER LYNN:  :-)===JACK: I didn't know that Chaplin composed the song, Smile, basing it on music from Puccini's, Tosca.

FROM PG:  My first vote was for Eisenhaur===JACK:  I was on the losing side in that one, but IKE turned out to be pretty good..at least he seemed to be honest..

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  My 1st vote: democratic primary for Jesse Jackson;-) haven’t missed a vote since!  My favorite vote???? Obama!===JACK:  My favorite vote remains HST.  Maybe, because he was my first; maybe, because was able to make a (the buck stops here) a difficult decision on using the A-bomb; maybe, because after his term he refused to profit from being the president.

FROM BLAZING OAKS: I think my first Pres vote was for IKE, whom HST dislilked intensely, and I think the feeling was mutual. I came to admire HST long after he was PRes. by reading about him...he and Bess were such people of integrity and paid their own way, even in the White House! Bess kept a ledger of every item they bought, and it if was for their own personal use (like entertaining hometown friends) they paid for that themselves. She even used her own stamps for all correspondence !  Bygone Days...===JACK:  One of my Moline friends, Niel Johnson. (did you know him?) was an historian and Truman impersonator at the Truman Museum.  A trip to the museum and the Truman home was an unforgettable experience.  You would have made a great Bess impersonator.===OAKS:  I'm sure I would enjoy the Truman library and home...I'll put it on my bucket list. It's probably only a few hours away from Springfield, IL.  Wouldn't that have been fun; to portray Bess T!  WE're giving or COUPLINGS play next weekend again, at the Rushvile Opera House. 2 performances. Always fun to do!

No comments: