Monday, July 23, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 7/23/18
“I want to be a bridge to the next generation.”  (Michael Jordan)   The new generation, the Zs (born after 1995) is far removed from Boomer Jordan.  If there’s a bridge to the Zs, it would seem to be the Millennials, but demographic experts say the ones most like Zs are the Silents, those coming out of WW2.  Both tend to play it safe, to be optimistic. Surprised?  It’s fun to read what selling experts have to say about age-groups.  What are they saying about yours?   ;-)  Jack
(Link) The Generation Guide - Millennials, Gen X, Y, Z and Baby Boomers ...

FROM WALMART REV:  It seems the media anyway is trying to sell me on the idea to "Impeach Trump!" and all our troubles will then go away!? 0;-)===JACK:  I think that both "sides" are in the selling business.  "Caveat emptor" is one of  the first "foreign" phrases that i learned, and it has helped me in many ways ever since.  Let the buyer beware!

FROM MY LAWYER:  Sleep Number beds!===JACK:  Could you be more specific?

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  We are called the greatest generation and we fought WW2 and then came home to build our families and helped to rebuild Germany.===JACK:  I read recently that those actively involved in WW 2 were called, "The Greatest Generation, " while those who were children during that time were a generationed referred to as "The Silents."  As Will Rogers said, "All I know is just what I read in the papers" or what Google tells me.===SHIRL:  I tried to join the WAVES but was told I had to wait until I was 18. I was working at the rock island arsenal where we were transferring war material from Europe to Japan theater when the atomic bombs were dropped and thankfully the war ended and saved thousands of lives.===JACK:  Many of us at that time had had enough of the war's killing.  If the A-Bomb cost lives to save more lives, so be it.  Truman was faced with a Hobson's Choice.  BTW, did you know that WAVES was the U.S. Navy's acronym for...
 Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service.===SHIRL:  No I did not know that! I thought it was the women’s branch of the navy.===JACK:  It was a branch of the Naval Reserve, as I understand it.

FROM INDY GENIE:  This information is great...very interesting read about the generational thinking and perspectives! Understanding definitely creates a bridge. Listening to each other helps too:) BTW, I’ve always seen you as one who bridges the generations...I remember you appreciating and  listening to me when I was a goofy teenager.....thanks for that. You continue to be a great role model for me....thanks for that too!==JACK:  Thanks for your kind words.  In seminary, we were taught to preach sermons that related to where the people were in their lives.  That works also in personal contact with people...Try to understand where they are in their lives, and try to put yourself in their place.

FROM CPA BOB:  What are those of us born before the US entered WWII called?  “Old”?😊😊 ===JACK:  You are the "Silents."===JACK:  According to what I've read..."The Silent Generation are the people who were born between 1925 and 1945.   Children who grew up during this time worked very hard and kept quiet. It was understood that children should be seen and not heard."

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Interesting Read, tho some dates seem too early, and other too late, from my recollections!===JACK:  As I researched, I found that there are no hard and fast rules with regard to generations.  "Generally," is a word often used.  As with the Bible, there are many opinions as to what the Bible says, or doesn't say.

No comments: