Friday, July 13, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 7/13/18
“The purpose of meditation is to make our mind calm and peaceful.”  (Kelsang Gyatso)  It has been reported that when divers found the Thai soccer boys in the cave, they were meditating.  Their coach, a former Buddhist monk, had taught them how to handle anxiety and how to be at peace with the world.  A friend of mine has a meditation room in his home.  It’s such a peaceful place.  Where do you find peace?  Where are your fears calmed?  Meditation isn’t just for Buddhists.    ;-)  Jack

FROM WALMART REV:  … every morning with John Freed and his Winning Words!!" 0;-) ===JACK:  It's a form of meditation when I sit at the computer and begin to compose "the words" for the week.  Ommmmm!===REV:  I have that same experience preparing and typing up my daily devotional on FB . . . 0;-)

FROM GOPHER LYNN:  This was an amazing search and recovery of these boys and their coach. A feel good story except for the one Thai navy seal that died.===JACK:   I think of the Bible verse, applying to Jesus, but also relevant to the Thai SEAL: "Greater love has no man than this, that a man gave up his life for his friends."

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  My entire home is peaceful ===JACK:  That means, wherever you go, you hear: "Pax Vobiscum!"

FROM FREMONT SUE:  I read the book by Dan Harris Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics.  I am not a skeptic about mediation, but it turns out I am fidgety.  I’m still trying, but there doesn’t seem to be a  mediation room.  sigh===JACK:  In our family we called it the B,R,. as in,   "I'm going to the B.R."

FROM ST PAUL IN ST PAUL:  this could be a good example of mind over matter but if it works,  its okay with me.===JACK:  Some people have the same idea about religion, too.===SP:  fair enough, but it can't JUST be mind over matter.  faith has to have a bit more substance than that....  at least for me...===JACK:  Why can't faith be mind over matter?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Mediation to me is prayer.  I love to pray outdoors.  I find much peace when I am praying in the first church.===JACK:  By "the first church", I suppose you mean the out-of-doors.  Inside, outside...it doesn't matter to God.

FROM LBP:  I learned just recently that my son’s kindergarten teacher had been doing some meditation with them last year. They use an app called GoNoodle that has lots of short videos to inspire movement. But he showed me some that are for calming and meditation or reflection. Pretty cool for 5-6 yr olds.===JACK:  It seems as though Andy has a great teacher.  Does she dress in a yellow robe, too?  Meditation might have helped with some of my behavior problems as a kid. ===LBP:  Alas,... wish she had done the science curriculum... but a foundation in human skills is probably good for wild 6 year olds===JACK:  Spoken like a parent who is a "scientist."  As a pastor, I think that meditation is more important at this point (Kindergarten) than science.  As I recall, I had fun at a 5-yr-old learning about Native Americans,  In those days we called them, Indians.  We were excited to learn that they actually lived where we lived.  They were led by Chief Blackhawk, and their tribe was the Sauk and Fox.  Learning about that was more interesting than memorizing the periodic table.

FOM AMcC:  i meditate daily.  I find peace in God .  I am grateful.===JACK:  Meditation...Brother Lawrence learned to do it in the monastery kitchen while scrubbing pots and pans.  He wrote a book, Practice of the Presence of God.  Have you read it?

FROM STARRY KNIGHT:  I need this for sure===JACK:  We are are trapped, from time to time, in caves..in placeas where we are afraid, in situation from which there seems to be no way of escape.  But, some have found a way...call it meditation, call it time for reflection, for quietness, or call it a time for prayer.  Even if it's only for minute each day, it can (and does) help.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  PART OF PRACTICING yoga IS doing meditation. We all need to do devotional reading, and center our thoughts.For me it can happen almost anywhere, and almost any time,  depending on my schedule. It helps to take life's ups, downs, and in-betweens, in stride! ===JACK:  I heard today about a book, Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics.  That caused me to listen to an interview on NPR with the author Don Hanson.  He meditates 2 hours a day, but says that it can be done in a minute each day, too.

Dan Harris On The Power Of Meditation For The Fidgety Skeptic | Rich ...

www.richroll.com/podcast/dan-harris-2/

Feb 8, 2018 - Ultra-athlete Rich Roll talks with ABC News' Dan Harris about how meditation transformed his life & his new book,10% Happier: Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics. ... Zomorod: author and host of the Note To Self podcast on NPR.







No comments: