Friday, June 29, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 6/29/18
“Did you know that Dammit I’m mad spelled backwards is Dammit I’m mad?”  (Sent by Norlene)  What makes you upset these days?  I once saw something called a Dammit Doll.  The instructions said to keep slamming that rag doll until your anger is gone.  It might be a useful   gift for someone who becomes overly-frustrated by some life-events.   Even Jesus got angry when he saw the Temple being misused.  What is your secret for relieving anger?     ;-)  Jack

FROM SF:  WOW! Interesting fun fact! Just turning on the news evokes so many emotions...anger, fear, shame, frustration, shock, sadness. The height of these negative emotions is new to me. Trying to concentrate on joy and good health and of course, my children, grandchildren, and G.  What are we to do? (Refusing to turn on the news or to read the newspaper doesn’t solve anything, does it?)  Hope you are well. Look forward to your notes!===JACK:  "Dammit" expresses my feelings when I read about the political direction of the USA as it replaces a more moderate tone.  "Extremes" bother me.  That 1/3 of the population believes that another Civil War is inevitable leads me to believe that 1/3 of the people have not learned from history or studied it.  Instead of using a Dammit Doll, I place my trust in the ultimate triumphalism of G-d and His way.

FROM WALMART REV:  Never have truly found my secret . . . "Pondering over and over it until it goes away or is replaced by a more edifying thought?!" 0;-/===JACK:  I've tried that, but I seem to still be angry.  The thought..."God is ultimately in charge"...seems to be come a comfort.===REV:
Yes sir . . . I agree wholeheartedly.

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  Madam I’m Adam is also a palindrome. I always enjoyed them
Barbara Kinsolver wrote a wonderful book called THE POISIONWOOD BIBLE. About a missionary in Africa and each chapter is written from the POV of a daughter. One daughter writes in palindromes. I think you’d like this book.===JACK:  I appreciate cleverness.  Much comedy is based on that.  So are moralisms.  I especially like Yiddish sayings.  I also like word origins...palindrome, doe example, has Greek root  Dromos (running) and Palin (back around).  I had to look up the why of a Bible called, Poisonwood.  That caused me to learn something new.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  I had never seen Keller's comment. It's a good one.===JACK:  I find it fascinating that one who had never heard speech, learned to speak, and that one who had never seen writing, learned to write...and one who had never heard or read about God, learned a knowledge of, and a belief in God.

FROM JACK:  Reading my Facebook postings today, I sense that many of my friends need to use a Dammit Doll.===EDUCATOR PAUL:  I guess you read my post... Goodbye Jeff, Bill, etc...I’m good now! LOL===JACK:  Yep!  Sometimes "Unfriend" works better than the doll, of stewing. ===PAUL:  I really enjoy watching Chris Cumo on CNN at night..mostly taped.  His motto is “Tell The Truth.” And, he gets after anyone who does the spin..anyone.  Last night he told the story of Two Wolves.  I can guess you know the story, but it had a lot of meaning to me..===JACK:  There was an early television show called, To Tell The Truth, where 3 celebrity panelists would try to guess who among 3 people was the one who had the "strange" occupation.  It was less stressful than politics.

FROM DR JUDY:  Jack, this was a great laugh out loud Post!  I’m seeing a lot of posts from you lately which non-directly teach us how to deal with these chaotic times that compassionate people are perceiving. Thank you.===JACK:  You're a mind-reader, too.  My Winning Words seems to have morphed from moralism commentary into moralism/spiritual-ism with a contemporary "poke."  Maybe it has become my personal Dammit Doll.

FROM BB IN CHGO:  Taking action!  Tomorrow there is a noon march at Chicago’s Daley center for “Indivisible” standing up for immigrants and families who were recently forced to separate while trying to seek refuge or political asylum.   This si followed by Veganfest with my daughter! ===JACK:  The aphorism is true..."Actions speak louder than words."  Separation of families is unconscionable, regardless of the law.  This week I had vegan chocolate ice cream.  Great!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  Interesting Palindrome! I had A Dammit Rag Doll; (I think they were on sale at our church bazaar!) And you not only slam it, you yell "Dammit" with every slam! It does let off steam...:-)  Novel idea at the time.  With our country in the condition it is today, one does need some way to vent!!  I guess watch and pray, and do what you can in your little corner of the world! ===JACK:  I have a hard time picturing "church lady" with a Dammit Doll, or yelling, Dammit!"  Maybe Dana Carvey, but not the ladies or the leader of your Sunday School class.  Why not bring the doll to class and ask if anyone is bold enough to use it?

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Reciting Bible verses over and over!===JACK:  I know a man whose father had him recite a piece of poetry (from memory) each night at the supper table.  A woman once told me that confirmation memory work suddenly came back to her as she lay on a hospital gurney awaiting cancer surgery.




No comments: