Thursday, June 21, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 6/21/18
“All kidding aside, if everyone did yoga we’d have world peace.”  (Rory Freedman)  There’s a Yoga group that calls itself, The Yoga Bears.  Serious Yoga-ites see yjrir Yoga as a method for bringing body and mind together for health, relaxation and spiritual growth.  ”Cute” doesn’t describe it.  Yoga is a 5000-yr-old Hindu discipline meant to enhance self-awareness.  It may not bring world peace, but those who practice it say that it brings a kind of peace to them.    ;-)  Jack

FROM DR EM:  I’ve been practicing yoga for almost 20 years and I have to agree. It’s probably kept me sane more than anything else I’ve done. ===JACK:  The Yoga people I know seem very peaceful and at ease with themselves.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Does anything bring world peace?   (Other than beauty contestant)---JACK:  As the song goes, "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me."  If there's no inner peace, there ain't no peace!

FROM WALMART REV:  "…not sure I could sit that long w/o talking to my neighbor..." 0;-) ===JACK:  It always makes me feel guilty to read the quote:: "I never trust a man who makes a living by his mouth."  I think it was by Mark Twain.===REV:  I've had said about me . . "You're all mouth!?"===JACK:  They were talking about your smile.

FROM DS IN SOCAL:  Here you go Jack.    Fits right in with your email today!!!

Dog doing yoga - YouTube

===JACK:  Fascinating!  That dog does Yoga better than I do.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My daughter is a Master Yoga Teacher in Chicago, and swears by it and meditation.  Kids Yoga, Adult, and Chair yoga...she teaches it all. She's at Kripalu (out East) right
now taking a week's refresher course, and loving it. She has her own consulting business but  Yoga is a way of life, and does bring peace of mind. Would that it could  bring World Peace!! Or even USA Peace! My minister son and his wife practice Yoga, as well. It's a pretty exhausting workout!! Maybe I'll give chair yoga a  try...:-)====JACK:  Be careful that you don't break your other arm!

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Yes I have two daughters one in Fort Worth TX and one in West Palm Beach and who have been doing yoga for years and really enjoy and share it! Btw the weather is cool and beautiful in California!===JACK:  The exercise fad when we were growing up was walking, not because of a Fitbit, but because of necessity.

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  I think of Tai Chi as a form of relaxation but see it can also be used for defensive purposes…maybe stick to yoga.  Sun is shining – another beautiful first day of summer day!  We have not been affected with flooding like cities/towns to the north of us.===JACK:  Yoga, yes!  But I just can't see a quilting lady doing Tai Chi.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  If everyone prayed we’d world peace.  I think yoga is fine for some folks.  It is supposed to be relaxing, but to me it looks like hard exercise.  Gary and I have tried Tai Chi which we did enjoy.===JACK:  If I were still in "the business," I think that I might have a yoga group at church and connect up with with a spiritual thought starter, like Winning Words.  After the spiritual moment I's let the exercise begin.  Some yoga groups in our area have levels of positions that accomodate those with limited abilities.

FROOM DR J IN OHIO:  I’ve been doing yoga for 15 years and counting… it’s a perfect mind/body/soul experience… and the world does indeed need more YOGA!  Can you touch your toes?!?!===JACK:  Yes, I can touch my toes without bending my knees.  For me, the most important thing about yoga is related to calming the mind to be able to communicate with God.  The positioning is a way to relax the body so that the mind can relax, too.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I don’t too much about yoga but I thought it was based on a religion.  Again, I don’t know yoga at all except people and do strange poses.====JACK:  Yoga has Hindu roots, bringing peace of mind through treating the body with care.  Most religions have things in common regardless of some of the teachings that separate them.  I know of a church that has a yoga group for seniors.  It does not use extreme poses.

FROM YOGI TINA:  I thought I would like to help with Yoga misconceptions. It is not a religion. It is a way of life. There are 8 limbs within the realm of Yoga, none of them tell you to worship a particular way. The limbs cover life choices, breath, how to conduct yourself, how to work into the world, poses to practice to maintain physical health and meditation for mental health. We have a mental health crisis in this country. The pace and demands of our lives is demanding and at times intimidating, causing feelings of anxiety and depression causing drug abuse, addictions and suicides. A regular yoga practice helps the mind to slow down, helping you to be able to sit with yourself and maybe get you to a place where you can open up a stronger connection with whatever greater power you belief in. For Christians this might allow you to be able to sit and connect deeper with Jesus through a meditative prayer, trying to not control the session with your normal prayers but to observe and open yourself to the flow of energy which connects us all through the belief of Jesus. As Christians it is understood that every human is one of God’s children, there are no exclusions here. For better or worse we are all connected. Our thoughts matter to our health as well as the health of those around us. Yoga is a way to channel your energy to help you live the life of your beliefs. I believe I am the senior chair yogi that Pastor Keeps mentioning and I do believe that the deep breathing practice, along with simple postures, many done in a chair and a bit of meditative practice can really change a person. It can help you to become the best version of yourself. My classes are a bit interactive so the person who doesn’t feel they can keep their mouth shut for class need not worry, it is chatty Yoga. Namaste!===JACK:  Thanks for your response and the straightening out of misconceptions.














No comments: