Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 5/8/18
“Just because you are blind and unable to see my beauty doesn’t mean that it does not exist.”  (Margaret Cho)  I’d like to see Margaret enter a Beauty Pageant…and then watch the judges puzzle over how to rate her.  Pageants in America had their beginnings as carnival sideshow entertainment and evolved into what we have today.  Cho suggests that there are different kinds of beauty.  The most beautiful person you know probably didn’t enter a contest.    ;-)  Jack

  FROM WALMART REV:  I’m reminded today for some reason of the weekly church pageants of today.  Leonard Ravenhill once wrote of the early church presented as one of poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, as a place of prosperity, personality, and popularity.  My, how things have a way of changing over time. Some of God’s best nowadays do not enter the fray, I’m sure. 0;-) ====JACK:  I have not given up.  There are still caring people who work to address the issues of poverty, prisons and persecution and eschew the 3 p's of today. 

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Isn't it odd that although there is no consensus on the definition of beauty, there re still folks and things that the great majority call "beautiful"?    Helen of Troy.   The Peacock.   Mt. Blanc?     It almost makes one think that Plato is on to something, doesn't it?====JACK:  I like the Isaiah even better..."How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!"   Maybe we should have a "Beautiful Feet" Contest.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'm not familiar with Margaret Cho, but suppose she means 'blind" in the larger sense that many do not see "different" beauty...so true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but also true that attractive people fare better in this world than those not blessed with good looks!!
But a beautiful spirit does shine through! I still lovingly remember a Bible School teacher I had in Moline , who was far from beautiful, but she LOVED her kids, and we thrived under her teachings :-) ====JACK:  I guess I'm not surprised that a Baptist pastor's wife would be unfamiliar with Cho.  Margaret is a little edgy.

No comments: