Thursday, May 24, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 5/24/18
“If you’re going to be a leader, make sure the heels of your shoes are polished.”  (Dale Schweinberger)  I was Dale’s Sunday School teacher, and he has gone on to be successful in business…and to be a leader (with polished shoes).  A seminary friend of mine began his intern year with a pastor who, on the first day, showed him how to shine his shoes.  He learned other things, too, but he came back to school with shiny shoes.  A pastor should look neat.     ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  Does a leader always find himself in the front?====JACK:  I suppose a leader could also call for a retreat.  However, your comment seems to show that the word "leader." has more than one definition.  You must have had someone in mind.

FROM STARRY KNIGHT:  That is a good story! I agree :)====JACK:  Yours is a good story, too.    Have you ever heard of the word, gumption?  You've got gumption!  Stay tuned...

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  jesus wore sandals, tho...====JACK:  You're right!  Flip-flops don't have heels,

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  How about patches on the knees.... from kneeling in prayer?!?====JACK:  In Biblical times, kneeling was a sign that "something is wrong, please hear us!"  It's a somber expression of concern.   Interestingly, there are different kinds of kneeling...the sit. the squat,  the standing-kneel, the one-knee.

FROM DS IN SOCAL:  Well, what do you know? I've been published.  Not so sure my heels have always been as polished as I would have liked.====JACK:  Recently, Jack Zukerman sent me a book that he's written...Let There Be Light.  Besides telling about his experiences in the lighting industry, he writes about what it was like growing up in Moline.  I should check to see if there's a quote in there.

FROM FD-TD:  You provide me with very thought provoking words... I thank you!====JACK:  Like Johnny Appleseed, I just scatter the seeds.  I'm glad some of them take root and grow.  I appreciate our friendship.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Good thought. I bet Dale never bounced a quarter off the top of his bunkhouse bed.====JACK:  ...nor have I.  My wife always made the bed.

FROM WBEE:  I can’t help but look at a man’s shoes as a first indication of his character.  Although I’ve come to understand that shined shoes only means someone takes care of their shoes.  Daily i spend sometime making sure my shoes are shined.  I even keep my shoes in shoetrees when they go in the closet.  It’s difficult to leave old prejudices behind.  I suppose I’ll always look - I just try not to judge any more.  "It is even better to act quickly and err than to hesitate until the time of action is past"  Carl von Clausewitz====JACK:  Two questions...1) Do your sons have shiny shoes?  2)  Do you think the Prussian general had shiny boots, and, if so, did he shine them himself, or have a private do it for him?

No comments: