Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 5/16/18
“Love is what you’ve been through with somebody.”  (James Thurber)  An internet site lists the most common marital problems and possible ways to solve them.  Not listed is the effect of unexpected tragedy on the relationship…a death, financial setback, health issues, etc.  Thurber is more than a cartoonist.  He “reads” the human mind.  Marriage is not always “a piece of cake.”  A willingness to adapt can go a long way in successfully meeting relationship issues.    ;)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I think of the song from Oliver...."Where is Love?"====JACK:  You've got the idea...and so did the writer of the musical.
Where is love?
Does it fall from skies above?
Is it underneath the willow tree
That I've been dreaming of?
Where is she?
Who I close my eyes to see?
Will I ever know the sweet "hello"
That's meant for only me?
Who can say where she may hide lit ?
Must I travel far and wide?
'Til I am beside the someone who
I can mean something to ...
Where...?
Where is love?
Who can say where...she may hide?
Must I travel...far and wide?
'Til I am beside...the someone who
I can mean...something to...
Where?
Where is love?
====JOHN:  There is a lot of pathos in that song....seems to reflect a good part of earthly life.  Life seems crammed with such wonderful loves and such unbearable voids.   Christ on the Cross helps me understand the great breadth of life....makes some sense of it.====JACK:  The 1964 film, "The Parable," produced by Rolf Forsberg, has helped me understand a part of Jesus.

FROM HAPPY TRAILS IN NOVA SCOTIA:  Thurber is one of our family favorites. I read some of his stories aloud to the family many times--"The Night the Bed Fell on Father," "The Get-Ready Man," etc.====JACK:  I've mainly looked at his cartoons.  Now I see that there's more to his story.

FROM TL:  What site do you reference?====JACK:  I just "Google" around...probably "common marital problems."

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  I read once love is 80%-20%. You give 80% and it will be a happy marriage!?!====JACK:  I noticed that you stuck a question mark in there.

No comments: