Friday, May 11, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 5/11/18
“An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy.”  (Rudyard Kipling)  I would agree with Rudy.  My mother influenced me more than any other person, including clergy.  Some say that Mother’s Day was invented by Hallmark as a way to sell more cards, but it was thought up by Ann Jarvis in 1868 who wanted to honor her mother and all mothers for the good things that they had done, and to be challenged to continue that work.  That’s a good thought for this Sunday.    ;-)  Jack

FROM TRIHARDER:  Maybe a ton of clergy .. no offense. (I mean that in the nicest way). ====JACK:  Sometimes it depends on who's the mother and who's the clergy.====JACK:  Sadly, not all mothers are loving and kind.  And it's the same with clergy, no matter the denomination.  Not all attorneys are shysters, either.  Generalizations are generally not to be trusted.====TH:  As a child, just looking at my mother would calm me if there was something stressing me. She was the kindest person I ever knew. ====JACK:  Both you and I have been blessed and have reason to give thanks for our mothers.

====PAUL:  Jack, i am pretty sure its Anna Jarvis.  just a minor matter:):)====JACK:  I think that her friends called her, Ann, or A.J.

FROM YAMPA SHIRL:  It is fun to see our daughters and granddaughters become mothers . It has so many rewards all through life!====JACK:  One of our daughters was born on Mother's Day.  That day has always been special for both mother and daughter.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Reminds me of Lincoln’s quote about his mother!  Other than God, no one quite loves as a mother.  Dad are wonderful and live unconditionally, but differently as necessary.  God bless all mothers!====JACK:  My very first Winning Words...."Virtue is learned at mother's knee.  Vice is learned at other joints."

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  ....and the joy of seeing your wife and daughters as mothers.====JACK:  In olden days at the movies, a historical short would be shown...The March of Time.  The march goes on in our families, too.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I didn't realize it went back that far! Our kids tend to idealize their mother as they get older; I'm glad they have selective memories, and seem to only remember the highest and best of your motherhood !!  I chrm. Blanket Sunday (Church World Service) on Mother's Day in Church,"Give a blanket in honor of your mother or significant woman in your life, and "Cover the World With Love!"  We buy a LOT of blankets! :-)  Blessings to all our dear Mothers, so well remembered and revered!====JACK:  "Blanket Sunday on Mothers' Day"...What a great idea.  Do you have any others?====OAKS:  Honoring our "Earthly Father" on Father's Day with a contribution to World Mission Offering that promotes our "Heavenly Father"s kingdom work" throughout the world. They can cite their father or a significant man in their lives to be honored in the bulletin. Works well!


No comments: