Thursday, April 12, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 4/11/18
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.”  (Voltaire)  I expected to comment on illness and cures in Voltaire’s day, only to become engrossed by his book, Candide, which discusses medical philosophy and the importance of a medical student having a mentor to teach that the world is both good and evil.  Medical miracles happen every day…and sometimes they don’t.  For me, I simply pray, “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”  ;-)  Jack

.FROM RI IN BOSTON:  Both Voltaire's quote and yours suit me.  But I must say I speak yours more frequently, and believe it more surely.====JACK:  Sometimes Voltaire gets a bum rap...in my opinion.

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  If you ask the right questions and really listen to the answers 95% of the time the patient will tell you what’s wrong with them, without any testing  This is not my statement. I read it in a medical diagnosis text years ago. I followed it as my golden rule in patient care though out my career   It worked for me and my patients   I knew when to start treatments and more importantly when not to.   It works well for life to.  Ask the right questions and listen.====JACK:  It works well for life, too.  Ask the right questions and listen

FROM PT:  Glad to see you “back in the saddle” Jack! Or should it be “back on the mouse” for our day?====JACK:  If you want to practice dealing with frustration, have someone take your mouse away from you.

No comments: