Thursday, April 12, 2018

.Jack’s Winning Words 4/12/18
“Better three hours too soon than a minute too late.”  (Shakespeare)  In The Merry Wives of Windsor W.S. uses humor to teach some practical lessons…punctuality…regret…we do have some control of what happens in life.  Consequences can be avoided by following the rule to be on time.  I know of someone who was in yelling distance of jet-way gate as it was closing.  Once shut, it could not be reopened.  He watched the plane leave without him.  Now, whose fault was that?    ;-)  Jack

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  I'm pretty late reading WW today! Had a great birthday (88) with friends for lunch and family for Lobster dinner at Red Lobster and gifts and games at John's after. Avery who was born on my b.day was 8 today! :-) So 8 and double 8! I'm pretty much on time or even early, now that I have only myself to get ready to go...:-)  At our SR events, they come at least 1/2 hour early for lunch, so we say if you're on time, you're late! ====JACK:  Eats!  I'm late afain in wishing you a YADHTRIB YPPAH.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  It was on this day in 1945 that president Roosevelt died. We put out a special line o type issue that ended with “he died with his boots on”====JACK:  Tempus fugit!  Ask people today what FDR stands for, and 9 out of 10 will give you a blank stare.

FROM BOBBY C:  When I was in the University of Michigan Marching Band, the conduct would always say:
To be early is on time
To be on time is late
To be late is to be dead
Clearly the syllogism does not work, but the message was clear.
====JACK:  A group, dependent on precision, needs strict adgerence to rules.  Go Blue!

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  How appropriate for today.  I missed my doctor’s appointment because I wrote down the wrong time!  I try very hard not to be late and to miss an important appointment because of an error makes me upset! ====JACK:  Those of us, used to being "up on things," have a
hard time with downers.====JACK:  Those of us, used to being "up on things," often have a hard time with downers.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Personally I like to be early because it is easy to get into trouble if u rush! ====JACK:  ....and you get the worm, too.

FROM LBP:  I may have to post this one for a regular reminder on my journey toward punctuality : ) ====JACK:  Did you ever do something "naughty" just to rebel against being perfect?  Sometimes I did something nice in order to rebel against always being naughty.====LBP:  I have my rebellious moments, but they are likely tame in the big picture. I'm a rule follower for sure. The one notable, conscious rebellion was in my senior year of HS when I broke my perfect attendance record for the year to play hooky on "senior skip day." I think it was the day of senior prom and because I recall staying home and having a bubble bath instead! I recall really weighing the pros and cons though and realized that no-one cared a lick about perfect attendance.====JACK:  Our church gave out "perfect attendance" pins.  Even on vacation we had to hunt up a church for Sunday School and have the Supt sign a letter that we attended a class.  Ugh====LBP:  I like the idea of finding churches out of town, but who cared if you got a pin? I'm sure they celebrated it but at the end of the day no one is checking your pin count.====JACK:  I still have my pin.  It has a removable disc, so the number can be changed as the years increase.  I was up to 10, and then got a T when I became a Teacher.  The fact that I still have it must mean something.

FROM RI IN BOSTON:  During many years of business travel I was flying a lot...logged an enormous number of air miles by the time I retired.  Only once did I have the misfortune of missing a flight, running down the concourse but getting to the gate just as the plane was backing away.  Boo-hoo!  On the positive side, to catch the next available plane home, I was at that gate hours early for the flight home.====JACK:  I'be told this before.  In college I once turned in a paper..late..with a note: "I forgot."  The paper was returned with a grade of D, along with a note, :"I remembered."  At the end of the paper was a grade of B, with the note, "I forgave."
.
.

No comments: