Thursday, March 29, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 3/29/18
“I don’t wear a watch.  How do I know my time?  I find that someone will always tell me.”  (Michael Patrick King)  Some friends of mine wear an Apple watch which can serve as a GPS, be a health monitor, send/receive voice messages and texts…and play 40 million songs.  It also tells the time.  I like MPK’s idea of not wearing a watch.  Think of all the people you can meet and talk with.  If they’ve got an Apple, ”Can you tell me the time in Madagascar?”    ;-)  Jack 

FROM LBP:  A big source of stress for me is being habitually late. Knowing the time is part of the battle. Appropriately accounting for transition time and not trying to do “one last thing” before I go have been harder to beat.  I recently heard a story of Sandra Day (O’Conner) as a teen on the farm. She was driving lunch to the field and got a flat tire on the truck. After much effort she changed the tire and delivered lunch, but an hour late. Her father was not proud of her for changing the tire but upset that she hadn’t planned ahead for that contingency. Her responsibility was to deliver lunch. All else was irrelevant. I think of this story when I hear myself making excuses for being late, none of which are as unexpected as a flat.  Listen to Was Sandra Day O'Connor Our Last Independent Justice? from Part-Time Genius in Podcasts. https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/part-time-genius/id1242486356?mt=2&i=1000399159805====JACK:  The Apple watch also has an alarm app.  But, you have to remember to set it.  BTW, Sandra D O was a great Justice.  How come we can't seem to find any like her today?====LBP:  My Fitbit tells time and buzzes for morning to get me up and evening to start getting kids to bed.====JACK:  Do you think that if your maternal grandparents would have worn a Fitbit, life would have improved for them?  Maybe!  Let your grandma wear yours for a while and see what it records.====LBP:  My grandpa was a lumberjack and then a diver and then a welder. My grandma was a house keeper and then a volunteer at church camp. Me? I work out of my house at a desk job. I don’t think it’s a Fitbit that is the difference in our lifestyles.====JACK:  Their Fitbits would be off the charts...and, besides, people like them wouldn't have time for gadgets like that.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  Old chiming clicks tell the time in this house.  They’re always a few minutes different and I like it like that.  I don’t wear a watch, haven’t for years and years. ====JACK:  I went to a church service where the preacher had an alarm clock in the pulpit.  When it started ringing, he stopped speaking in mid-sentence and said, "Amen."

FROM INDY GENIE:  Ha! “40 million songs”...That’s funny, made me laugh:) Good point about not wearing a watch...another way to connect with people. You sure are good at that.====JACK:  How could I check the length of the pastor's sermon, if I didn't have my watch?

FROM KF:  I don't wear a watch.........I am very grateful that my days are not so time constrained : ) ====JACK:  I've always been a clock-watcher, even in grade school.  However, I've timed my sermons in other ways.  When I see wives giving a poke to their husband's ribs, I know it's time to wrap it up.

FROM FROM GOPHER LYNN:  Well, I must say I do love my Apple watch    However, I still like talking to most anyone!====JACK:  Be sure to turn off the sound when you're at the movies...or in church.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  The watch does not interest me very much. Several family members have them though. I depend upon my bird clock, tv,microwave, and iPhone ====JACK:  I have a watch, produced in Detroit.  It's called, Shinola.  I remember that Shinola was shoe polish.

No comments: