Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 3/28/18
“Names are the sweetest and most important sound in any language.”  (Dale Carnegie) I once knew a woman named, Jewel.  I wonder how she came to have that name?  I’ve known other jewels…Ruby, Crystal, Opal, Pearl and Sapphire (Kingfish’s wife).  The developer of the Lear Jet, named his daughter, Shanda.  People usually like it when someone calls them by name, except when a kid hears his mom use both his first and middle names in a loud voice.    ;-)  Jack

FROM SF:  I heard a child describe his favorite teacher this way: “She smiles whenever she says my name.”  So easy to make someone feel special, huh?====JACK:  What a great little story!  It's hard to smile when saying, Jack, but not when saying, Sandra.====SF:  Awwww...!

FROM HUNGRY HOPWIE:  We asked Jonah what he thought we should name his baby sister. He thought a moment and said. Flower.  So that’s what Sue and I have been calling her for about  3 months now. I am sure her parents have other names in mind ====JACK:  I vote for Suzy.

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  Cute!!!====JACK:  Paulette is cure!

FROM LBP:  So many thoughts ... reverence to the name of the lord in recent Bible studies ... picking names of my kids ... people saying my name wrong ... the fact that my name is suddenly popular for little kids so I hear it (sometimes with middle names) at grocery stores and parks ... picking names for my kids ... trying to say other people’s names right especially when they come from an alphabet that is unfamiliar to my tongue ... so much in those few syllables that identify us as individuals! ====JACK:  Son, David Merrill was named after a cousin with the same name who died as a child.  Merrill is the name of the city where he was born.  My sister was born in Oskaloosa, so she was 2nd named after her Aunt Ruth.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  I guess we preferred the common names Thomas Ann Susan Jeannie and Nancy! We had five girls in our 6th grade class and four were Shirley’s. That is why we were called by our last names.====JACK:  Common names in 6th Grade...Don. Tom, Gerald, Bob (2), Earl, Jack (2), Harold, , Arnold, Roy and a Carlos====SHIRL:  In the ninth grade we had a group which we named the five vacuums-Mary hauberg, Shirley Kennedy, me, Jackie tucker, and Doris Murray. Mostly we just had fun and lots of different experiences====JACK:  I was on a couple of basketball teams at the Y...the Eega Beevas and the Shooting Stars.  It was fun to make up names.  There was also a team, the YMCA Bullets.  That wouldn't be acceptable today.

FROM JAN IN PALM SPRINGS:  this really made me laugh and bring back fond memories...when I heard my Mother say "Janet Marie", I knew I was in trouble.   XXOO====JACK:  In spite of the one or two name-calling, I could run faster than my dad.====JR:  BUT we were just good kids....XXOO ====JACK:  Maybe you were....

====LAILA: Did you know my folks considered naming me Sarah? I didn’t until I was grown up. Unknowingly, when I was a kid I sometimes wished my name was Sarah. A nice “normal” name. I like my name, but I still use a variant of Sarah when I want an alias :) ====JACK:  O, so you're the Siri everyone talks about.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  We knew we were in trouble when we heard our first full name, middle name and last name said my our mom!!  I still say it sometimes!====JUDY:  Does that mean that you were sometimes a naughty little girl?

FROM KF:  "A Rose by any other name would smell As sweet" : ))) also "Stephanotis" flower = Stephanie...a gardener mom! I wanted to name Rose "Lily"... But Lilly Fillipp = too many L's...... ====JACK:  When our first daughter was born, I was the pastor of three congregations, Bethlehem, Bethany and Bethel.  That's how we came up with Beth for her name.  Officially it's Elizabeth, but to family and friends, it's Beth.====KF:  we have two Elizabeths and a Beth in my family; Rose is Rose Elizabeth!

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  HA! You'd better listen up when that happened!  Ah yes, I remember it well....====JACK:  How could your mom tell which twin she was yelling at?  We have twins (mid-30s) in our church.  Last Sunday, I got them mixed and asked the father how he tells them apart.  He responded, "I can't!"

No comments: