Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 3/27/18
“Everything becomes interesting if you look at it long enough.”  (Gustave Flaubert)  Have you ever had a staring contest with someone, to see whose will was strongest?  YouTube shows a   series of such contests, some with sports-like commentary.  A science teacher had her students stare at the flame of a Bunsen burner for several minutes and write down all the things they saw.  Why not choose an object (or person) today?  Stare at it and write down what you see.    ;-)  Jack

FROM HONEST JOHN:  I am reading Walter Isaacson's bio of Leonardo da'Vinci.   He would stare St things so closely that he would be able to notice tiny details like the difference in size of butterfly wings.   In debate at Augie we would concentrate on cases so hard in order to find the flaw....it actually worked.   Now I am more of a casual observer....too lazy to stare anymore.   Just enjoying. ====JACK:  When I begin writing my Winning Words for the week, I often stare at the quotes, seeking ideas and inspiration for what I should write.  Today's WWs are a result of that.  If I were still in the preaching business, I might stare at the text for a while each week before starting to write.

FROM WALMART REV:  Reminds me of one of my favorite older church choruses, Turn Your Eyes on Jesus...Turn your eyes on Jesus,  Look full in His Wonderful Face,  And the things of earth  Will grow strangely dim  In the light of His Glory and Grace ====JACK:  ...or another: "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross."

FROM HUNGRY HOWIE:  Marina Abromovic  is a performance artist who, for one of her events,  sat in a room,  on a chair, nude, without moving or talking for 24 hours, with a chair facing her. She invited the public, one at a time, to  sit in the open chair and  just stare back at her.  She has an installation at the DIA, it’s a 13 minute video in a continuous loop of her in an old kitchen holding a round deep container full of milk. This is symbolic both the location and the milk====JACK:  When I viisit the Detroit Institute of Arts I often see people standing in front of a piece of art for what seems to be a long time, just staring.  I'm going to try that next time.  I don't know that I'd be bold enough to sit in Marina's chair.====HOWIE:  When you want to visit the DIA again tell me I can be your docent.====JACK:  Will Marina be there?====HOWIE:  The 13 min video of her is on permanent display

FROM GOPHER LYNN:  We use to have staring contests growing up, especially during car rides to Merrill ====JACK:  What if Trump and Kim Jong un sat across from each other and...instead of talking about nukes, would have a staring contest to see who would blink first.  The world would be a safer place.====LYNN:  LOL – you betcha!

FROM AW IN ILLINOIS:  especially the dandelion.   one of the most beautiful intricate flowers. ====JACK:  Even as we age, we mimic the dandelion as it ages....if we keep our hair.




No comments: