Thursday, March 22, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 3/22/18
“I believe in having an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out.”  (Arthur Hays Sulzberger)  I have mixed feelings about Stephen Hawking.  I admired him for his amazing mind and his ability to “carry on” in spite of physical limitations.  I didn’t always agree with what he had to say…and wondered if his words were colored by “his situation.”  Basically, I believe he just wanted us to “think,” to use our mind to explore new ideas.  I’ll miss his thoughts.    ;-)  Jack

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  but a closed mind squeezes your brain.  i agree abt stephen hawking. he had no explanation as to how he survived w/ALS for 55 yrs... is god trying to remind us that no one knows everything, & there is always hope?====JACK:  I'm reminded of the saying...Some minds are like concrete--all mixed up and permanently set.  For me. Stephen Hawking continues to be an enigma.

FROM SHARIN' SHARON:  Not knowing what all Stephen Hawking shared with people during his lifetime, one of my younger friends on Facebook posted "Stephen Hawking, 'There is no God'", "God, 'There is no Stephen Hawking'". Somewhere, along the way, I learned from reading some theologian, that actually there is no commandment in the Bible against being an atheist. Being guilty of idolatry certainly but professing no belief in God not. But maybe I misunderstood the whole point in that teaching or the point that was being made by the author. With regards to Stephen Hawking, with the contributions he made during his life, to science and also the people around him, never got the idea that he was self-absorbed or self-centered or was trying to put his time and energy into things that would hurt people. That Facebook post and your WW this morning are making me think, Pastor Freed, and what I am remembering of what I had seen of Stephen Hawking is making me think too. I hope he somehow in God's Plan still "is" with God who created him and loves him.====JACK:  One of the first things I learned in seminary was that you will never be able "unscrew the inscrutable."  Youi can read all the books, use all the words and God will still be beyond our comprehension.  Even Stephen Hawking, with his great mind, could only voice an opinion.  There's a reason for the word, faith, when it comes to God.

FROM WALMART REV:  An interesting gentleman for sure?!====JACK:  I would not expect to find him in church, but I would not be surprised to meet him in Heaven.====REV:  I often said, one of the surprises found in heaven is that we’ll find some there that we thought didn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell. 0;-)====JACK:  You sound like a "Luther--an."  Martin Luther said that three things will surprise him when he gets to Heaven. 1. He won't see some people he expected to see.  2.  He will see some people he never expected to see.  3.  Most surprising of all...He's there himself.    He was making the point that we (all of us) are saved by grace and not by our works (good deeds).
====REV:  "The best is yet to come!"====JACK:  Does the best include bowling, car racing and all the stuff that makes for fun here on earth? ====REV:  Thinking of something out of this world, actually!====JACK:  Is it possible to think of the unthinkable? "...To dream the impossible dream.  This is my quest!"

FROM GOPHER LYNN:  Another good message.  I had never heard of Stephen Hawking before his death (hard to believe – right?), but now may have to pick up A Brief History in Time.====JACK:  I'll have to see if our library has it.  I also plan to read a few reviews.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  My grandson said that, too, awhile back, "Don't be so Open minded that You're brains fall out!" :-)  I was SO amazed that Hawking could survive Lou Gherig's disease for over 50 years. Never heard anything close to that, although my good friend battled it for over 20 yrs.
When I think of Stephen Hawking, I think of Jesus' saying to his disciples, after the rich young "ruler' walked away, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of the needle, than for a rich man to enter Heaven", and immediately amended it with, "But with God, all things are possible." Since he knows
us so completely, I'm glad He's the one who judges...!  S.Hawking was admirable in many ways, and certainly had an awesome scientific mind, able to translate what he knew so laymen could grasp it! ====JACK:  Interestingly...the quote that comes to my mind is this...“Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins.”

FROM STARRY KNIGHT:  I didn't like that he was an atheist*****====JACK:  First, you have to know what he meant by "atheist."  The same word has different meanings for different people.  He also said, "I am not religious in the normal sense of the word."  There are many Christians today who would not identify with the Evangelical Christians.  That does not mean that they are not Evangelical or Christian.  You have to sit  down face to face with a person to get an understanding of their beliefs, and, even then, words can cause a confusion.  Saint Paul writes in Romans..."Who has known the mind of God?"  Be sure to read today's blog responses.

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  he also said on more than one occasion that religion and faith were for people who were afraid of the dark and who believed in fairy tales.    interesting to me that both he and Carl Sagan who studied the grand mysteries of the universe were also so unimpressed with WHO was behind it all.====JACK:  The only conceptual WHO that we have is Jesus.  It's harder to figure out the limitless spiritual God, just it's hard to get a handle on limitless space or limitless anything.


FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  It’s sad we have lost a brilliant mind.  It’s even more sad that he wasn’t a believer.====JACK:  I wonder what my concept of God would be if I had ALS and was confined to a chair for half a century?====JUDY:  ====JUDY:  We have two friends with ALS.  Tony is 67 and a devoted Catholic.  He has been in an experimental Drug for 11 years.  He trains horses and farms.  Our other friend in Frank.  He’s in his late 40’s with three kids: one on college, one very ill with crony’s disease and on 14.  Frank and Gail and the kids came to many of our Easter, Thanksgivings and family parties.  Frank and Gail are devoted Christians also.  They rely on faith and grace to get them through.  I really wonder what Hawkins did to get him through?!?====JACK:  We each stand alone before God...who knows all, who understands all.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not knowing what all Stephen Hawking shared with people during his lifetime, one of my younger friends on Facebook posted "Stephen Hawking, 'There is no God'", "God, 'There is no Stephen Hawking'". Somewhere, along the way, I learned from reading some theologian, that actually there is no commandment in the Bible against being an atheist. Being guilty of idolatry certainly but professing no belief in God not. But maybe I misunderstood the whole point in that teaching or the point that was being made by the author. With regards to Stephen Hawking, with the contributions he made during his life, to science and also the people around him, never got the idea that he was self-absorbed or self-centered or was trying to put his time and energy into things that would hurt people. That Facebook post and your WW this morning are making me think, Pastor Freed, and what I am remembering of what I had seen of Stephen Hawking is making me think too. I hope he somehow in God's Plan still "is" with God who created him and loves him.
SH in Michigan