Friday, March 16, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 3/16/18
“Old age is the crown of life, our play’s last act.”  (Cicero)  People usually do a double-take when an AARP card arrives addressed to them.  I read recently that the transition out of mid-life begins at 65, and that age 80 and above is considered to be very old.  Bring out my crown and let the “fat lady sing.”  However…healthier life-styles and medical discoveries are causing midlife to last longer and old age to be postponed.  What do you think is the perfect age?    ;-)  Jack

FROM EDUCATOR PAUL:  George Burns once said, “The secret to not getting old?...Don’t shorten your steps when you walk.”   He always got a big laugh when he said that.====JACK:  GB also sang, "I wish I was 18 again."  I think that would be a good age to go back to.

FROM LS:  The age You are at any moment in time.===JACK:  I guess...It depends...There are certain ages that I would not like to re-live.

FROM LBP:  I was surprised when an AARP letter showed up for me on my 19th birthday. It was my Dad who had just turned 50, Not me!  I can’t let myself fixate on a perfect age. Time keeps moving. ====JACK:  I can see why AARP seemed confused.  You were always "old for your age."  Your comment about "time always moving" reminds me of the adage, "You can't step into the same river twice."

SF SENT A CARTOON SHOWING POOH AND PIGLET.  "What day is it?" asked Pooh.  "It's today," squeaked Piglet.  "My favorite day," said Pooh.====JACK:  What a great response.  A good teacher never forgets how to teach.

FROM DR J IN OHIO:  I think whatever age you are is the perfect age… perfect for new adventures, new ideas, new friendships, and new possibilities.====JACK:  I guess it all depends on the "YOU" and you's point of view.  A good life depends on a good point of view.  Keep looking for those new adventures and possibilities.

FROM QUILTING CAROL:  All ages are fun – if you have your health, a sense of humor and a positive outlook on life.  I have good memories from all of mine…some maybe not as much fun but still memories.====JACK:  There can be "fun" even during the bad days.  At age 16 I was in the hospital for 3 months (not good), but I was able to get out of bed (good).  Once, when I was standing by my bed, a mouse ran toward me and scampered up my leg (inside the pajamas) and down the other leg, before running away.  At that time I, miraculously, was able to do a dance (fun-ee). ====CAROL:  Was that an “Irish” jig?  I would have died on the spot!====JACK:  It was sort of llike the Hokey Pokey...You take your leg and shake it all about.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  The age of four....at home with loving parents....no responsibilities....able to do some things that you couldn't do at two....not yet in school....although pre school is a horrible invention for the four year old.... ====JACK:  Age 4 is fuzzy for me.  At age 5 things seem to come into focus...the house where we lived...Kindergarten...Moonie, our dog.

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  If we r lucky enough to live a long life, we should just enjoy each day. Every day is special and we should do our best to appreciate each day! And to be helpful and to have fun. Age is a frame of mind.====JACK:  You're right.  Age is a fame of mind.  The number of candles on the cake does seem to make you stop and think.  Wow!  I'm really getting up there!  ====SHIRL:  Aren’t we all? We r the lucky ones====JACK:  It's a sign of getting old when they put number candles on your cake instead of individual ones.

FROM BLAZING OAKS:  "Your whole life passes before your eyes before you die; that is called Living!" says author Terry Pratchett. I'm certainly wearing the crown of life, but I'm not young enough to know everything! :-) However I do know that every age has it's challenges, and perks, so might as well enjoy old age, if that is where you're at!  More and more people are enjoying our play's last act, as you say, thanks to medical advances, and will continue to do so, if we can control Nuclear power!!====JACK:  Re: nuclear power...Re: medical problems and advances...Re: unexpected challenges...Most of these things are beyond our control, but we "worry" about them, anyway.  Have you ever heard the old song, "It takes a worried man to sing a worried song?"  YouTube it!

FROM DM IN LIV:  Good morning Pastor Jack.  I believe the perfect age is the age we are right now.  We’ve never been here before and we won’t be here again.  I just love right now. 😊====JACK:  If you love a mystery, then you enjoy each day, because you never know what the day may bring.  The comforting factor: The Lord is always with me...no matter what.

FROM LK IN OHIO:  If one is able to embrace life thoroughly, it seems each and every day God grants is perfect.  Just yesterday I talked with a lady at AARP customer care. She told me I have been on their membership list for twenty years now. I wished I might have said that to me the "crown of life" has been pretty light and a pleasure to wear. That is, I give thanks, like you, for God's blessing of life, and the opportunity to better my acquaintance with Him (old school) as I/we pass along the way into his closer comfort and protection. Of course, also JOY!  May God be and remain with you, Jack! ====JACK:  I think that the "optimists" probably enjoy life far more than do the "pessimists."   They enjoy tomorrow even before it comes, while, while for the pessimists, "tomorrow" can be a bad day twice.

FROM OUTHOUSE JUDY:  The perfect age?!?  Each day I get older.  I guess my 40’s but that just a guess.  I’m glad I don’t believe as Cicero believed...our eternally wonderfully blessed life starts at the death of this one!====JACK:  You are consistent in looking forward in faith:  The life to come (Heaven) is going to be far better than life on earth.  “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

FROM GUSTIE MARLYS:  Oh dear—we are old Jack!  Funny, my mind is still 60 but the body does not do what it could do then!  Ha!====JACK:  But the memory of those years...as the Gershwin song puts it... "They can' take that away from me."

FROM JE IN WLCSD:  I think the perfect age is the age you are at your best physically and mentally, for me that was my early 40s, although I’m getting my umph back and exercising and eating right, (including some dark chocolate), even though I’m in my mid-50s. My goal is to be in tip-top shape like my mentor Jan Calligaris, who is going to be 70. Jan is more positive and active than most 40-year-olds.  I’ve adopted Jan’s motto: “You rest, you rust!” ====JACK:  Ahhh.  The 40s ...a time when I was full of "spit and vinegar!"  Have you ever heard that saying.  The 50s and 70s weren't so bad, either.  Aging is a matter of adjustment...of the mind.

FROM BB IN CHCO:  I enjoyed having small children.  I hear…that being a grandparent is just as much fun, if not more.  So, I look forward in hope.====JACK:  I love my children...at every age.  Grandchildren are special in their own way.  Even the in-laws are special.  I guess mothers/fathers and grandmothers/grandfathers look at the situation using different glasses.

FROM JT IN ST JOE:  well,  I don't know, but I have experienced a truly happy life for 77 years.  I guess it's OK to bring out my crown and let the "fat lady sing."   But I'm going to post pone it for as long as I can.====JACK:  At a recent doctor's visit, he spoke into his recording device, listing the results of the check-up, including..."patient still has all his marbles."

FROM DS IN CA:  Almost all of your blogs "hit a note" with me, but this one really did.  Since "hitting" 80, my body seems to have decided it's time to slow down.  I suppose that's true, but I'm trying to resist the tendency to just give up.  My lower back makes it difficult to fight this aging thing, but the alternative is not attractive.====JACK:  I remember the day when I couldn't go up the stairs one after another....What's going on?  Just recently, I felt my daughter's hand at my elbow (just like I used to do with my mother).  What's going on?  My advice: "Deal with it!

FROM AA IN FLA:  I'm pushing for 108 and plan to still be golfing and shoot less than my age ====JACK:  It's nice to have dreams when you're a whippersnapper...but time will have its way.

FROM ST PAUL IN MESA:  my aunt turned 100 last week in Dysart, Iowa.  i will ask her that question:):):)====JACK:  You might want to make a list of questions to ask her.  You never know when it might be the last opportunity...especially when you're talking to a centenarian.

FROM RS IN TEXAS:  I think the perfect age is the one I am.====JACK:  Que sera, sera!

FROM SAZ:  I'm 89 and am lucky to feel great. This year we will celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We live in an active independent living retirement community with many active friends. I'm active in out local church. I'm looking forward to reaching the perfect age although this is pretty good. God has been good to me.====JACK:  I like the story of how you enlisted in the Navy without your parents being aware of it.  Didn't you leave for duty right from the recruiting station without going home?  Those were your carefree years. 

No comments: