Friday, February 02, 2018

Jack’s Winning Words 2/2/18
“What would you do if you were stuck in one place and every day was the same and nothing you did mattered?"  (From the movie, Groundhog Day)  It’s that day…that movie ,,,and the same ending…again!  I know most of the dialog…”Do you know what today is?  Today is tomorrow!”  What day would you choose to live over again?  In reality, every day is new and special.  The Psalmist writes, “This is the day the Lord has made.  Let us rejoice and be glad in it.”      ;-)  Jack

FROM TAMPA SHIRL:  Enjoy each day ! Do your best !😇====JACK:  I doubt that any of us TRULY do our best.  But, at least, that's a good goal.====SHIRL:  If at first u don’t succeed try try again! Btw we r enjoying the beautiful beach at cocoa beach  Florida!what a wonderful day it is 😊 ====JACK: Michigan winter allows me to appreciate more what Cocoa Beach must be like.  ====SHIRL:  Tell me about it! It snowed in Ann Arbor either may 24 or 26 in 1963 the year we moved here ====JACK:  See!  You remember the pleasant things.

FROM TRIHARDER:  But he made the absolute perfect day.====JACK:  What's your idea of a perfect day?  In 1909 Carrie Jacobs Bond wrote the song, The Perfect Day, after watching a sunset in Riverside, CA.  It became so popular and was played so often that even Carrie got tired of hearing it.

When you come to the end of a perfect day,  And you sit alone with your thought,
While the chimes ring out with a carol gay  For the joy that the day has brought,
Do you think what the end of a perfect day  Can mean to a tired heart,
When the sun goes down with a flaming ray,  And the dear friends have to part?

Well, this is the end of a perfect day,  Near the end of a journey, too;
But it leaves a thought that is big and strong,  With a wish that is kind and true.
For mem'ry has painted this perfect day  With colors that never fade,
And we find at the end of a perfect day  The soul of a friend we've made.

====TH:  I used to have many perfect days. they involved activities with all of my loved ones.  We were camping in the Rockies. The skies were threatening. I took the kids on a short hike. It hot darker and darker. There were rainbows everywhere in the sky. So, we turn around and start hustling back. Dan was 7, Leah was 4. I threw her on my shoulders and we begin a sprint back to the tent and dive in, breathless, laughing as the skies open up. Jill is bewildered. We all lie in the tent cuddling waiting for the rain to stop ad the rain pounds the tent. The rain stops shortly and we resume our hike. That was a perfect day. ====JACK:  As Archie and Edith Bunker used to sing: "Those were the days, my friend.  We thought they'd never end."  I, too, had many happy days with my children when they were small.  Now, I have a different kind of enjoyment...relating to them as adults.====TH:  Yes, I enjoy that, too. But my face-to-face time is so infrequent.

FROM HONEST JOHN:  In Thornton Wilder's Our Town, Emily is advised to not go back to a big day but to an ordinary day.   I like that advice.   Some of our best days are "ordinary days." ====JACK:  Part of life's frustration is that we want to chase after "extra-ordinary" days and neglect enjoying the day at hand.  I think you're right with your comment afout the value of the ordinary day.

FROM FACEBOOK LIZ:  i am, & it doesn’t...====JACK:  For me, fantasy is fun.  I like to play the game....What if...?

FROM SHALOM JAN:  What I found interesting about "Groundhog Day" is that he actually did something different every day, such as learning to play the piano -- something he had wanted to do earlier in life but had pushed aside in his "climb" to success.  That's something I think a lot of us do, putting off till "a better time" things we could have enjoyed our whole life through.  And, I don't care what the little rodent says today with his shadow-watching, we're going to have six more weeks, and possibly more, of winter weather.  That 50-degrees several days ago?  That was just a much-needed break the Lord was kind enough to give us.====JACK:  Thanks for that insight of your...Being able to relive our todays would give us a chance to improve on what we have missed originally.  Of course, in some instances he did not always improve on the day...driving down the railroad tracks, jumping off of tall buildings.====JAN>:  Yes, of course, there were times when, to avoid repeating the same day one more time, he got a bit suicidal.  Can't say that I blame him.  Note: it was a human relationship that caused him to change that kind of behavior. ====JACK:  Right!  I'm watching it right now.  (on break.....I don't have to watch every minute, because I know what I've missed)  Back to the movie.

FROM VIKING LYNN:  Happy Groundhogs Day to you! I have already heard that Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow.  Six more weeks of the snowy stuff this year ====JACK:  I read today that some people believe a rodent, but disbelieve climate change.

FROM HAWKEYE GEORGE:  Good comments.====JACK:  God may not give us the chance to relive today tomorrow, but he does grant us forgiveness and the chance to do better tomorrow.

FROM LB:  Makes me think of my 102 (almost 103) year old mom living mostly in her bedroom with us.  The days are now so much the same for her that she doesn't know what day it is.  Yet, she can smile and get up and get dressed and enjoy a meal and isn't in any major pain.====JACK:  So what if some older people are forgetful?  It gives them a chance to relive their yesterdays and not be bored.



No comments: